2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm headed to the lease again this weekend. Still have one stand to set up. Little work on the camphouse. Here's the deal. We have 'yotes on the property, can hear them howling in the evening. I have a rabbit distress call and a .22 mag and would like some advise on how/where to setup to call in a yote or two.

·
CantRe Member
782 Posts
First of all camo out, sit in a bush, short tree or something, you can sit on the side of a hill but not on top or on bottom, never profile yourself. Coyotes will come in and always circle around down wind.....there's your shot. If you miss, the pesky little critters most always they will stop and look back.....there's your next shot. Get some distress call tapes and learn to use a mouth call in conjuction with those tapes. I would always go out and spot light a jack rabbit, then where ever I made my stand, put 2 welding rods in the ground, sit the jack between them, then pull the jacks ears over the rods puncturing them. Don't smoke, wear cologne or use smelly soap. Use a cover scent if need be. I've used acorn and cedar. Camo pants, shirt, cap, face paint or head net and make sure you camo your gun.......the rest is a fun learning experience. Its one of my most favorite types of hunting.....just look at my handle

·
Registered
127 Posts
The 22 might be a little to light for a yote. You might consider going to a smaller grain in your hunting rifle, makes for good off season practice. I like using a 22 hornet or 22-250. If you see two shoot the one in the rear the front one will be confused and give you a chance at him.

Good Luck

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
Wiley coyote wouldnt have a chance with you CHunter. Fresh jack rabbit kill for bait and all. LOL

·
100% BS
7,120 Posts
If you are hunting out of your stand...make sure you gut shoot them and they will run off and die away from your stand.....the only bad thing it gives their buds something to eat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts