2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Unruly Member
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the rain at my lease in Stephens County something became very apparent .... I'm over run with coyotes. The number of paw prints in and around the feeder was startling. I can hear them bark and howl all the time, and never thought anything of it. Yesterday morning I had two doe at my feeder when a coyote howled and ran the deer off.

Figure the best way to control them is simply a number of coyote hunts between now and turkey season. (Rancher won't allow traps) I bought an electronic howl and one of those 'mechanical critters' that waive back and forth.

I'm hoping y'all can answer a couple of basic questions for me:
If I hunt out of my deer hunting blind, am I going to stop having deer come to my feeder next season? Is it best to set up somewhere else? Namely, within proximity of where I hunt, but not at my feeder?
How about recommendations for a rifle? I have a 30/30 with a leupold scope? Would you recommend a lighter caliber?

Any other tips and techniques would be great.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the same thing going on at our place. We have killed three of them recently and I am very interested to hear what the fellow 2 coolers have to say. I really don't want to shoot them under or around the feeders. Some one told me that killing one coyote saves 8 deer a year. That is outrageous if it's true. lets have some ideas from some of ya'll that know how to hunt them. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Where is your deer blind set up? Field or open space? Along a sendero?

If there is plenty of room around your blind (i.e. field or open space), I wouldn't see any problem shooting yotes from there... in fact I really don't see any problem shooting yotes from any blind. I don't think it would bother the deer coming to your spot at all.

I've passed up three yotes in my past two hunts.... if killing one saves deers' lives, I'm gonna have to start shooting!

·
I'll keep my gun...You keep the change
10,507 Posts
Yotes are basically dogs......they are very wary.....a 30 30 is a good rifle but you may want to consider something that will reach accurately a little further....If you have an electronic caller you can set it up anywhere and just wait and see what happens.....from your blind or ground.....wherever it is make sure you have some good camo or good coverage......the best way to kill yotes is to set up the caller and decoy and move downwind to cover.....times of day are hard to predict with yotes......sometimes in the middle of the day works best....sometimes right at duskor in the middle of the night....I have never tried it but a friend said he use to set up a light in a field and the yotes would come to it being curious...

good luck

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
A good coyote population generally points to a good rodent population. The prairie dogs eat alot more mice and rats than they do deer. Once you take the coyotes out of the area, a rabbit and mice population bloom will occur rapidly.

Blast away if you must, I did when I was younger. I just think it is the wrong direction to go in now.

·
Unruly Member
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A good coyote population generally points to a good rodent population. The prairie dogs eat alot more mice and rats than they do deer. Once you take the coyotes out of the area, a rabbit and mice population bloom will occur rapidly.

Blast away if you must, I did when I was younger. I just think it is the wrong direction to go in now.
Never thought of that ... not that I mind mice, but mice = snakes. Hmm, maybe culling yotes will allow for more owls. That would be nice.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
You might want to try some hornady leverevolution rounds for your 30-30. I didn't think they would make that big of a difference, but they really do. I have shot pigs out to 200yards with them in my old winchester.

·
Unruly Member
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You might want to try some hornady leverevolution rounds for your 30-30. I didn't think they would make that big of a difference, but they really do. I have shot pigs out to 200yards with them in my old winchester.
Converted over to them the beginning of this season!

·
Registered
541 Posts
In past years I didn't shoot coyotes that I saw while deer hunting but this year I thinned a couple out of a pack of five that chased deer off a feeder I was hunting.. Predator balance in very important as mentioned in previous threads. If you take out too many coyotes, rodents may over run you. Not enough rodents to keep your coyote population fed and they turn on deer and other domestic animals. Shooting coyotes from your deer blind may spoke your deer for a few days. I would suggest useing a different area if you can but if thats not a option than use your blind..

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I would not use a scoped rifle in Texas, a 12 gage or 10 with#2 birdshot to #4 buck, took 67 yotes and 26 bobcats in 6 weeks, a moving coyote is hard to get in a scope and multiple kills are much harder. If calling in a real open area take both in case one holds up out of shotgun range, but most of the time they will be in your face real quick, then heading for the hills. All the guests on my ranches are not allowed back if they let one walk while deer hunting, they key in on feeder areas therefor feeders are one of the best places to call. Will not effect deer hunting around your stand. First or last 30 minutes of light is best time to call, altho have take many in the middle of the day. Start in more open areas early or late, and the heavyest cover around in the middle of the day.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
I like a mouthcall over a baited area at night with a shotgun and BB shot or dead coyote loads. Heavi-Shot #2 works well also. Bait with trash pile after cleaning ducks or gut pile or cut open hogs. They find it fast. Do not turn on light till you are ready to shoot. Get downwind. I like full moon cold nights. For bobcats hunt daytime. You wont make a real impact on the yote population even if you shoot 30 a year, studies show the more you shoot the faster they go in heat cycles and breed. Poison and traps are the only way to really control them, and I dont like either of those options. I used to really get into it, the Foxpro e-calls are supposed to be the latest greatest thing.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
It's best to get rid of as many predators as possible during the fall and winter, the coyotes hunt 24 hours a day during the spring fawning season, ***** will be going tree to tree even in the middle of the day in the spring looking for eggs, have seen many soon to be dead coyotes searching fields for fawns even in the middle of the day in the spring. If one has turkey the hogs are also bad on the nests.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I agree if possible a shotgun for when they come in close and rifle for when they hang up. M870 3" mag full choke with 2 or 00 and or AR 15 built specifically for yotes. The 223 perfect out to 400 yds when they hang up and the shotgun will pay off when they pop up on top of you. I have also used the weasel ball bought from toy stores and painted the ball with black, gray and greens then placed on a 18" wooden frame to roll around in the middle of a sendero or open area, it draws their attention off of you if you are using a hand held mouth calls. I have shot them with deer standing around before and the deer only took a couple of steps then went back to eating corn. My best times for hunting them is usually full to half moon on a clear sky from about 30 min before daylight to the first hour or so after daylight and about the same at dusk eliminates the need for a light with a good scope. Most of the ones I have taken even after trying to position my self where they will be upwind of me they always seem to work their way on my downwind side, this is where the blind comes in handy to conceal your scent along with movement. I also hunt in both stephens county and Fisher County and both counties are over populated with coyotes. Just at Christmas we walked in the barn to feed the barn cats and woke up a coyote sleeping in the barn, I was glad I had my pistol on that morning. He had the mange and looked to have a touch of hypothermia by the way he was stumbling and walking. There are multiple tracks leading into our barn both coyotes and hogs, we dont let the kids enter the barn alone anymore.

·
Life's a garden, gotta dig it.
33 Posts
As someone stated above, trapping is the only way to truly control them but you can definitely do some population control with the ol' lever action. I would actually recommend trying to shoot them out of your stand at first. I dont believe it will impact your deer hunting too much. Coyotes are extremely smart and if the begin to associate your deer blind with being shot at, they may spend less time in the area. Not sure it would really work out like that, just a thought...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts