2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided I wanted to start building some custom rods and have been reading alot on it. Man there is a wealth of knowledge on this site! I have done a couple of custom reels and have a couple in the works right now and need some rods to go with them.

The white reel is one I did about six years ago and it has never seen the water. I know what a waste. The pink reel was done for my daughter. Both are done with House of Colors paint (automotive base and clear) Both have some pearl in them but you cant tell from the pictures.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Chad,
I sell rod building supplies. If there is anything you need let me know and I can hook you up.

I have been building rods for about eight years now. I started selling rod building supplies because I couldn't find anyone that would help me when I got started. I went to the big tackle store in Houston and was treated like an idiot because I didn't know what I wanted.

So I started my business to help new rod builders get started. I keep a pretty good inventry of rod building supplies at my home. So if you need help getting started give me a call.

Charlie
979-864-93456

·
Registered
892 Posts
Nice paint jobs!
If your really serious about building a few custom rods get a book or two and even a DVD or two as well. I recommend the books by Dale P. Clemens and "Rod Building Guide" by Tom Kirkman and or DVD's by Ken Preston or Doc Ski. I'm partial to Doc's but I understand Ken's is very good as well.
You will also find the "Texas Rod Builders" to be very helpful. www.texasrodbuilders.com

If your lucky you can find another rod builder like Charlie above to help you along.
Here is a directory of rod builders who list there just so others can contact them,
http://www.rodbuilding.org/directory/

Lots of great info on the net but you really want to get off to the best start as possible.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Where are you located Chad? If you are anywhere close to WEest Columbia I would be glad to help get you started.
Pat

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I live in Demi-John on Bastrop Bayou.

Thanks for the input I will definitely be looking for some help. I have been reading up on it alot to kinda get an idea of what its about.

·
Texas Rod Builders
6,338 Posts
Good lookin paint jobs chads. On the white one, is the spool and inner frame area polished or is that the original look. I've never seen a Curado polished up like that. All flat black usually.... like Jerry said: definitely need some (self built) customs for those. Terry Jones, (Terrynj) uses the house of kolor paints as well and swears by them provided that the whole "system" is followed and used. You can take your painting talents and use them on rod blanks also. Hookin' up with a builder near you is a great way to get an idea of what it is all about. Rodbuilders, in general, are a pretty good bunch of folks and would be happy to give you a hand. Not sure how far you are from W. Columbia but you could meet with Pat and I know he'd be happy to show you the ropes. He's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. Good luck,,,,Jim

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes the white reel was sanded and polished: inner frame, spool, and handle. That is the reason it has not seen a rod. It would look like **** real quick. Even sitting in my house for all these years it lacks the shine it had when I first finished it.

Pat, I will definately be getting in touch with you when I get ready to dive in to this. You are about 30 minutes away from me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts