2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a fuel pressure gauge for a Cummins. What is a good cheap unit to buy? I've seen some for around $50, any suggestions?

Also, what lift pumps are you guys running? Raptor and Airdog seem to be popular. Anyone use an extra Holley pump to supplement their original lift pump? Apparently the lift pumps are a big weak point for the 2nd generation Cummins.

FYI, I'm looking for these things for a 24v Cummins.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Best place to start is www.dieseltruckresource.com Other than that is is up to you. What problems are you having? Are you gonna start modding your Cummins? It seems to be that guages differ between users, while some like "Glow shift" {cheap} others like dripricol or other big name brand. My toughts is its a toss up. Others will chime it Im sure.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm actually not sure if I'm having any issues, thats why I need to get the guage. Apparently the 24v Cummins was known for its weak lift pumps that kill injection pumps. I want to get the guage so that I can see where I stand with my lift pump and get it replaced if its not putting out enough pressure. I definately don't want to have to replace an injection pump. Thanks.

·
Team Naughty Cool Fishing
846 Posts
if you want to just check out the pressure on time, you can get a manual guage, and a hose and just leave it outside the glass on the wiper cowl and drive it and make sure you are keeping pressure all the time. If you want a permanent one, then you should be sure to buy a quality guage such as Isspro, or autometer. the cheap ones just dont show pressure closely enough, and most are in to high of a pressure and the needle barely moves.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you use the same type of guage that you compression check an engine with? I have one of those but it may call for pressure way above what a typical fuel system puts out. I'll have to check mine. Also, where would you hook it up?

·
WHO DAT!!
3,242 Posts
I run a set of Stewart Warner Maximum Performance gauges. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge, but I have the Boost, EGT, and Trans temp gauges. I've had them going on 4 years now with no issues at all.

The fuel pressure gauges are pretty cheap, but the isolators can get pretty expensive. Most shops will recommend you run a isolator to prevent any diesel fuel from getting into the cab should the gauge fail.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts