2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Ice tea and beans
4,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day, driving home to Lolita, From Sugarland, I saw a lady cruising about 75-80 mph. She was driving a minivan, and was pretty much keeping up with the traffic. The kicker was this.

There was a 3 or 4 year old, riding in the front seat, most of the time standing up in the front seat!!!:hairout:

What in the HIZELL is this lady thinking?!? This was on 59 South bound. She drove like this from Wharton, to about the middle of El Campo. Many times, I saw this youngster standing, and even at one point walking in the minivan!! Where was his carseat?!? Why in the world wasn't he in it?!?

Hindsite, I should have called her in......I guess I was so incredulous, that someone could do this, My mind was sputtering.

I've seen some of this same behaviour, even in the small town I live in, driving to and from the one store, or the post office. I don't even agree with that, because it doesn't matter if you're only driving 5mph.....the other guy could be going 40 or even 80!?!

Here's to the crazy woman driving down 59 without her child in his carseat...I truly hope you get caught without and more danger to your child!!! I can only imagine how I would have felt if you'd have gotten in a wreck, and I hadn't done anything to stop you!

Rest assured, if I see it again.......There will be a call into the local DPS.....and I'll follow you all the way home.

·
What was I supposed to Member??
2,873 Posts
that lady is probably one of many that thinks it just wont happen to her. i feel sorry for that kid, having a mom that is willing to put his life in danger just because he probably didnt "want" to sit in his carseat. i struggled with my daughter over that over and over and over with that when she was little. we would be driving along and i would here a little "click", and sure enough she would be coming out of that car seat. it was "inconvient", but i would always pull over and deal with it. one time i had told her that if she unbuckled that seat one more time i was going to pull over and she was getting a spanking. about two seconds after i said that....click. i must have looked like some kind of maniac on the side of hwy 6. LOL i finally found what worked with that girl. i started carrying little "treats" with me, and started having surprise "buckle checks". at first, i would do it right after i heard that click. i would say "buckle check". her sister was always still buckled, so she got the treat, and tammy didnt. caused a few tears at first, but pretty soon she was staying buckled and getting treats too. whatever it takes!

trudy

·
----------------------------------------
23,724 Posts
How soon we forget

Rememer back in the day when you were a little kid (before mandatory car seats and seat belts) when you used to lay up above the back seats
on that little shelf under the back window, on long road trips? haha

Oh man if the cops saw that today, they would call CPS. LOL

MEGABITE

·
What was I supposed to Member??
2,873 Posts
i always got my DIBS in on laying up there! :rotfl: boy have things changed. back then we didnt even have blow dryers for our hair :D, and us kids were the remote controls for the tvs LOL

·
Ice tea and beans
4,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
allicat said:
i finally found what worked with that girl. i started carrying little "treats" with me, and started having surprise "buckle checks". at first, i would do it right after i heard that click. i would say "buckle check". her sister was always still buckled, so she got the treat, and tammy didnt. caused a few tears at first, but pretty soon she was staying buckled and getting treats too. whatever it takes!

trudy
we haven't had any problems with my stepson......and he rides an hour and a half home in the evenings.......he always has lots to keep him occupied, books, colors, and a myriad of songs to sing........we take at least three potty breaks....the last one, about ten miles from the house, on a little FM road.....he really like peeing on the side of the road in the grass......it's a guy thing.....but I digress......

that lady really did get me worked up.....I hate seeing that, and I never can get the thought out of my mind......what if.......especially, what if something happenned, and I didn't do anything to prevent it......?

·
Registered
956 Posts
I remember laying flat in the back of a car. I am pretty much against restraint laws, but I also see why we have them. The problem is usually unsafe driving, not the restraint system.

·
Crabby Old Man
17,406 Posts
Bellyup said:
I remember laying flat in the back of a car. I am pretty much against restraint laws, but I also see why we have them. The problem is usually unsafe driving, not the restraint system.
Scott,
You said it.
The number one cause of accidents is driver error. The reality of it that most people do not drive well or consistantly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.