2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...last night when I got home from work. I came through the door and smelled an awful odor coming from somewhere. I searched the house, then opened the garage door and got a wiff of the most rancid smell. I followed my nose and the apperant blood pool directly to the base of my outside freezer - OH CHIT!!!! I had to move everything outside to make a trail to wheel my freezer outside on a dolly. When I opened it up, there was no ice... it had been thawing out for several days and everything was wasted - (2) deer, (1) hog, steaks, fish bait, etc. After I bagged everything up and disposed of it - in an undisclosed location - I washed the freezer out, brought it back in, and plugged it in. The plug has a circut breaker which had apperantly been tripped - by whom I dont know, but I conviniently blamed it on my wife. Now I have to figure out how to get the smell out of the garage - already tried bleach. Gives me a good reason to spend the next few weekends before Christmas at the deer camp. Dang the luck!!!!!

·
Reel Gambler
3,761 Posts
... The plug has a circut breaker which had apperantly been tripped - by whom I dont know, but I conviniently blamed it on my wife.
Our Christmas light trip the breaker and my freezer is on the same breaker...I can't make them understand that the lights need to be off when it's raining...

Oh...from personal experience...put a couple inches of bleach in a couple bucket...spread them around the garage and it will kill the smell. I didn't think it would work (wife's idea) but it did. The smell was gone in two days!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Bad News

I hate to hear it happened to you. I had a similar problem a while back. It sure is a shame to have to throw away all of that meat and fish.

I got my freezer de-odorized with baking soda. Once you get it cleaned out ( I used Pine-o-pine) open up a couple of large boxes of baking soda and pour it all into a flat pan. Let it run for a few days and it should help. Leave some baking soda in there for an extended period of time or indefintely.

·
Mike
1,054 Posts
When we built this house I had a dedicated line run with it's own breaker and no GFI just for the freezer.

I've been in your shoes. Never again.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Our Christmas light trip the breaker and my freezer is on the same breaker...I can't make them understand that the lights need to be off when it's raining...
Hey, I'll bet thats exactly what happened.... means I can blame it on the wife and not feel guilty. Thanks!

·
Gone Phishing
6,976 Posts
I've had that happen. I didn't even check if the breaker had been tripped, I simply got rid of the whole freezer. Not worth cleaning that nasty rancid-ness out to me...I'll just go out and buy another one.

·
"We're gonna need a bigger boat!"
3,483 Posts
Couple of bottles of Vanilla extract should help with getting rid of the odor as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
When we built this house I had a dedicated line run with it's own breaker and no GFI just for the freezer.

I've been in your shoes. Never again.
x2
My Christmas lights keep blowing the fuse!! Do yourself a favor and throw the freezer away! You will spend countless hrs trying to rid that awful smell!!!!!

·
Member At Large
6,637 Posts
air it out as-much-as possible...... febreze it...... spread some baking soda..... and place a few piles of charcoal around...... burn a few stinky candles too

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Sorry about the misfortune. Blaming your wife was a great idea ! Get to the lease fast, stay the rest of December, get some meat, DO IT FOR THE FAMILY !

·
Registered
710 Posts
Go get some Odorcide. It works on some of the most awful smells you could imagine. First time I heard of it was when I was working in the Homicide Division and was at the scene of a week+ decomp in a house during the summer. You could smell it as you got out of the car on the street, so you can imagine the smell inside. The company that came out to do the crime scene clean-up used this stuff. I bought some and have used it on the occassional rancid cooler and a few other mishaps, most recently my buddy's house after his cat got into a fight with a skunk and then tried to rub the smell off on everything in the house before they got home.

http://www.odorcide.com/

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Exact same thing happened to me last year. I did lose some good stuff, but I also got rid of that 1993 ground beef and some other stuff that I didn't need. My freezer is much more organized now. :)

·
The Jammer
3,594 Posts
This happened to me about 4 years ago. Plugging in the wet vac tripped mine, and didn't find out for way tooooo long. I had venison, elk, yellow fin tuna, buffalo, everything. Just killed me.

The freezer was shot, but when I looked into the types of dumps you have to put these things in, the expense, not having a pickup truck, etc.- I just grabbed the garbage guys, and PAID THEM $25 to carry it and put it in the dump truck.

THE "OUT OF MY LIFE FOREVER AND HAPPY ABOUT IT" JAMMER

·
Registered
471 Posts
That is one of the most annoying things to have happen. I had it happen to me twice while I was in college. First time it was the freezer/fridge in the house. We were gone for a break (christmas or summer) and somehow the electricity tripped and the water line on the back busted, because the last roommate to leave forgot to turn it off. Got a call from a friend who was checkin on the house for us that it smelled like some one was murdered in there and it was flooding. We had a inch or two of water mixed with rotten meat blood that spread through the kitchen and into the living room. It was one of the most horrible smells ever. We spent two days ripping out carpet and cleanig, even after replacing it all you would catch a whiff of it every now and again.
Second time, a different roommate turned the wrong breaker off and killed the power in the garage where the big freezer was. Lost 2 deer some fish and a freezer.

·
Registered
174 Posts
had the same thing happen a couple of years back to a freezer full of shrimp. get a bag of cheap charcoal, slit it down the middle of one side, set in freezer, and close the door. three days later smell should be gone.

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
heard coffee grinds (used?) works at sucking in the odors and clearing up a place

good luck.

oh yeah, for those of us with many delicacies in our freezers that accumulated through hard work and many more dollars than it's worth.. google freezer alarms and find a cheap method of trying to prevent this from happening :)

·
Equine connoisseur
2,264 Posts
"Eeeww, that smell!"

I lost an old freezer with a big ribeye roll that was given to me for Christmas. Went out to the storeroom about two weeks later to cook it up and it was history. That sux.

·
Registered
19,248 Posts
Neveer, never put a freezer or refigerator either inside or out on a GFI breaker. It will get you sooner or later..

Charlie

1 - 20 of 29 Posts