2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from a week of fishing in Costa Rica and even though the fishing was a little slow we had a great time! My father and I flew in to Puerto Jimenez to fish at Crocodile Bay Lodge. The first few days were a little slow with only some Jacks but on day 3 my luck turned better and I caught my first sail -about 6' and 85 lbs and it put on a great show!! The next day we finally caught a couple of good Roosterfish and some more Jacks. If you ever get a chance to fish Costa Rica it is an incredible experience..Tight Lines to all..

Attachments

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
I will be there on thursday, around the jaco beach area, los suenos area. Where did you charter out of? how much was it and for how long? I want to take a half day trip because the wife will be with me and I dont want to interfere too much with my brownie making time....if you know what I mean. I have a long summer of fishing ahead of me. Nice rooster and sail btw.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Oh yeah, how was the weather pattern, that is a concern for me concidering the seasonal rain they usually get right now. Hope it doesnt rain all day while we are there.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We chartered out of Crocodile Bay outfitters in Puerto Jimenez--Southern CR on the Pacific. We had a 5 day package so I am not sure what the daily rates are (on the high end--very nice boats-24 ft Whalers w/twin 150 mercs and excellent guides) There are several small operations that are more reasonable for day trips. As far as the weather it is extremely unpredictable--we had 3 dry days and 2 with light showers however they had 11 days straight of heavy rain before we arrived. The heavy rain definitely hurts the inshore fishing in this area. Good Luck :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Nice fish I was there over spring bait and caught a 50 pound rooster sure would have liked to catch a sail

·
Chillin'
4,570 Posts
You obviously had a great time, TC ... thanks for the post ... been wanting to go to Costa Rica for years now ... will have to be soon. Nice sail!

Bob

·
Twisted Fisher
279 Posts
Argo, there are several charter groups that run out of the marina in Los Suenos, between 4 and 7 hundred for a half day. I was there last January and that's the prices we found. Things were quite a bit less expensive up the coast at Tamarindo. 250 for a half day.

·
Registered
10,344 Posts
There are a couple of Corpus area natives who run package charters out of Golfito/Zancudo. Fished w/ them 4 out of last 5 yrs. They're good and also reasonable.

·
Banned
249 Posts
TX CHICKEN said:
I just got back from a week of fishing in Costa Rica and even though the fishing was a little slow we had a great time! My father and I flew in to Puerto Jimenez to fish at Crocodile Bay Lodge. The first few days were a little slow with only some Jacks but on day 3 my luck turned better and I caught my first sail -about 6' and 85 lbs and it put on a great show!! The next day we finally caught a couple of good Roosterfish and some more Jacks. If you ever get a chance to fish Costa Rica it is an incredible experience..Tight Lines to all..
heard that place is pretty cool. congrates on the sail

·
Banned
249 Posts
Duplantis said:
If you really want to catch something, inquire at the Beetle Bar! (At least, that's what I've heard).

Duplantis
LOL!!! Permanent luggage.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Again ***???with the dates on the old posts?? But hope your trip is good, they have been having a good/great Blue bite down South towards Golfito. I will be in Quepos in three weeks let us know how you do.

Rob C

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
fishtruck

If you havent been to Quepos before be shure and make it to the hangout place for fisherman. El Grande Escape. Its a bar and restaraunt. You can find guides out of there. One I forget his name (old age) him and his brother operate a pink panga. Just ask for the pink panga guys. For roosters they are OK. Further offshore there are others with bigger boats.

Charlie

·
Registered
15 Posts
golfito last week

fished 5 days last week...50 dorado(up to 50lbs)/34 sails/1 black marlin. weather was great. i'll be back thurs.
capt. john brennan

·
><)))))> ~------------
138 Posts
PHINS said:
How was the wind? I'll be farther north, fishing out of tamarindo next Sun, Mon, Tue. I'll post up when I get back.
Fished in Tamarindo in '06. It was an awesome trip even though the fishing was slow. Stayed at the Cala Luna, drank losts of Imperial and caught my first tuna!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts