2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends,

The thread about Costa Rica got me all stirred up.
I will be getting married around Spring Break, and I think I have convinced my GF that COSTA RICA might be a great place to honeymoon!

On my bucket list is to catch a Marlin and a big Bull Dorado, so I want to go do it while I am there.

Any recommendations on a place where she could be happy doing the beach thing, and touristy stuff and I could sneak off on an offshore trip one day.

City, Hotel, and Fishing Guide recommendations would be helpful.
Is it best to stay on the Atlantic or Pacific side?

·
Registered
429 Posts
We went down there in '07 and stayed at the Marriott Los Suenos. Nice place and the marina is right behind the hotel. We fished 2 days with Costa Rica dreams...great boats, nice crew, etc. Had a couple of ladies with us who chose to only fish one day and spent the next day hanging out on shore. They did a rainforest/zip line tour then went shopping in town (Jaco is approx. 10 minutes down the road).

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Jaco/Los Suenos would be a good bet that time of year. You definitely want Pacific side and central or southern coast that time of year for billfishing. They will still be getting billfish further north but greater chance of rough water. My friend Felipe can help arrange everything you would need including fishing, hotel, tours, transfers etc. His website is gooddayteam.com I have been doing business with these guys for ten years now.

·
www.DeniedClaim.com
86 Posts
Costa Rica

Los Suenos x 100

The wife and I were married right down the road at Villas Caletas - I highly recommend the honeymoon suite (master suite)...the views are to die for....

Have fun.

·
71 Posts
X2 on Costa Rican dreams. My wife and I went for our honeymoon and spent half in La Fortuna with a view of Arenal Volcano. Did the zip line, hot springs, and a lot of other stuff. Then we spent the second half at a really cool funky hotel in Esterillos right next to Jaco and Los Suenos. Did a full day of fishing and hooked up on a marlin (which got wrapped up and died unfortunately). My wife had a sail but lost it at the back of the boat. She made up for it with a nice dorado (couldn't hook the bull she was with). We also did some surfing. Had a blast. We wished we lived there!!

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
I can help you if your interested in Southern Pacific Costa Rica. It is beautiful and for me a great place for a honeymoon. But, not everyone. We do have a lot to do and our Osa Penn. is picked one o f the most bio diverse and beautiful places on earth by National Geo. But Northern CR is more touristy.

Checkpout our site www.sportfishinggolfito.com

www.laparios.com
www.iguanalodge.com
and the Puerto Jimenez area to see if it for you.

We have problally the best fishing in the pacific!

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
the most romantic place my wife and I have ever stayed is hotel villa caletas. www.hotelvillacaletas.com

as said above, honeymoon or master suite with private hot tub and pool was the cats meow..... have stayed there twice. los suenos is about 10 min away, jaco is about 15 min away.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My Fiance and I went the second week in November and stayed in Jaco on the beach. We were just down from a little restaurant called El Bohio, awesome fish tacos. We fished out of Los Suenos 5 of the days. 3 Offshore for Billfish aboard the Bethina and 2 days inshore aboard the Fandango. They did warn us ahead of time that the Billfishing was just not right yet but we wanted to go anyway. The crew aboard the Bethina was outstanding, very personable and just a fun group to fish with. We caught a ton of Mahi in the 25-35lb class. We did end up catching a couple nice sail fish and had one Marlin on for a brief second. The inshore trips were a blast as well, we caught some really nice Roosterfish a couple of which were huge. One of the days we took some of our Mahi to the Villa Estrallamar where they cooked it up for us, and it was outstanding. We went through HookedonCostaRica.com to book our trip. We had a total blast and can't wait to go again. We did hang out a little at the Marriot at Los Suenos and a restaurant call The Hook up which were very nice as well.

·
Twitch..Twitch--->Boom
5,308 Posts
You guys will love it for sure. I have family in Golfito, and Pavones. So i have been all over Costa Rica and you will definately like the Los Suenos , Villas Caletas 2 thumbs up......Great fishing and great people there for sure. Check out the rain forest and you have to zip line thru the forest.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sorry, let me clarify. We service both Golfito and Puerto Jimenez. Puerto Jimenez is where I would recommend for a honeymoon. Lapa rios is a great hotel. Picked one of the top 5 in Latin America and frequented by many stars (Brad Pitt, etc.) Top notch place.

Los Suenos is very nice but also very American!

·
Team Naughty Cool Fishing
846 Posts
My wife and i went to Quepos for out honeymoon. It was great and we fished two days with Quepos Sailfish Charters aboard the Bluewater 3. it was great with the wife getting a 200lb marlin and we caught plenty of sails, and dorado. Its a great small town, but if you are looking for a ritzy place go to los suenos. Quepos is a quiet little place with great food and things to do. Also we set everyting up that we did with the charter place including, hotel and airfare and such.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is all very good input.
The Villa Calente looks very nice, but its pretty pricey.

We were thinking more something closer to the beach.
The Xandari resort looks good too.

·
71 Posts
Thats the one! Xandari. I couldnt think of the name. Thats the kinda funky one in the pics i posted. it was nice to relax in a private hot tub facing the beach after a day of fishing. Very quiet.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Las Caletas Costa Rica----booked--need advice

:bounce:Well we booked a Master Suite at Las Caletas hotel near Jaco beach!! for March 12-17!
The plan is to get married there at the hotel or on the beach.
We are so excited and are really looking forward to being down there!!!

thanks for the three recommendations.
Thats the best thing about this board.
We are working on all the details with the hotel and event planners in the next few days.

Okay, so now that that is done..........what about fishing?
Where should I book out of, and with which charters?
Any advice is appreciated.
Mike

·
My Water My Rules
201 Posts
The Tarpon fishing is great there...you may want to do some of that while you are there. Gotta be on the less touristy side of Costa Rica to do that though.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Just got back last night from a week in the Flamingo area. Not in the same area you're looking at, but just letting you know we had a fabulous time and will definitely go back. The people there are incredible as far as going out of their way to be helpful, much much more than in that country directly to our south! Will try to post my report later if I can figure out how to download pics. But if anyone is on the fence as far as C.R. is concerned, can't recommend it more.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
If you want real fancy, check out the Four Seasons Costa Rica, about 20 minutes from Liberia airport (direct flight from Houston on Continental). My wife and I went there for our 1 year anniversary; it was amazing. The offshore fishing is world class, depending on time of year. Inshore fishing is hot all year round.

Note: it's north of all of the places you're considering. I've been all over CR, from Golfito to Tamarindo to the east coast. It's an amazing country and you'll be happy anywhere (east coast is kinda sketchy). I preferred Four Seasons this past trip because the commute from airport was so easy. The drive to Jaco from SJ is long but definitely fun. The flight to Quepos from SJ is short but definitely a little nerve-racking--actually, I heard they've paved the runway since I last made that flight, so it's possibly better now. Congrats and you'll have a blast...great choice on a destination.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would make sure that i made it down to Manuel Antonio for at least a couple of days. The road leading into the park has great "walking tourism" with good eats and shops etc.

·
The Antaginator
5,963 Posts
What time of year would be best for Costa Rica offshore?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts