2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, i've heard great things bout these sunglasses, i was thinking about gettin the "fathom" sunglasses cuz they are in my price range. but i got a few questions.

1. with the polarization how far off and how far deep can you see?

2. are they worth the money?

3. how's the service?

4. are the fathom brand of costa's just as tricked out as the pricier costa models?

thanks all,

jess

·
No fish in West Bay
5,637 Posts
Forget all the bling you might see on the frames, its ALL about the lenses. The Wave 400's are what most folks buy lens wise. For general use and offshore the grey lens is better than the amber. The blue mirror is a grey lens while the green mirror is an amber lens. For inshore and low light conditions the amber lens is better. The grey just mutes the brightness of the lens without distorting the real color. The mirror helps reflect the light that is reflecting off of the water. The amber and vermillion lens helps increase contrast and is better suited for inshore sight casting and low light conditions. It tends to be a bit brighter than the grey. If you can afford it, get a pair with the Wave 580 lenses. The clarity of the lens will amaze you. Of course if you are stepping up from gas station throw downs to Costa's you will be amazed no matte what Costa model you get.

Costa service is pretty good, albeit a bit slow. Basically, if you break them you pay cost for a new pair which is about 50% off. If its a manufacturing problem they give you a new pair.

Regarding polarization and depth you can see well that's more an issue of water clarity than anything else. Yes polarized lenses will filter the light rays that are not hitting the lens straight on so you can usually see down through the surface of the water. To see any deeper is just water clarity. There are times that you will take them off and see better though. All in all it's worth it.

I'm no Costa dealer I've just been wearing them for a long time and I have crummy eyesight so I need all the help I can get.

Really though, any brand of high quality sunglasses are going to perform about the same whether you get Costa's, Kaenon, Smith, Oakley deep blue etc.

·
Concrete Contractor
12,404 Posts
I will never own any other brand. Just sent some in that the plastic started to deteriate from much wear. They are sending me a brand new pair for just the shipping cost, $9.99.
This will be the 3rd free pair. I own 2 Turbine's, keep one in each truck. They are great at keeping the glare off the water.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I love mine. Sat on them this past June and crushed the lenses. They sent me a new pair for $70-something. About half off. Can't complain. I love the quality and clarity of the lenses. I prefer glass over plastic b/c it's more scratch resistant. Heavier, tho.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Service is great. They denied warranty once, I called them and discussed the issue and a week later I had a new pair with only the cost to ship to them.

·
Registered
663 Posts
got a pair of them with the green mirror finish on the 580 lens
will never go back to a cheap pair, well worth the money

·
Banned
688 Posts
They are very good. I also like Maui Jims. Both great help alott. especially when you need to look for debris now.

·
Get Off My Bay!
6,584 Posts
For the money they seem to be a good brand, but you had better not have a big head. The heavy plastic frames don't lend themselves to those that are bigger or taller people, because a bigger head usually comes with that,lol. I wear Smith/Action Optics with glass mirrored lenses, and own a couple pairs of Maui Jims. The most comfortable lightweight glasses I have ever put on. Try the Titanium frame no hinge Kapalua or Ka' anapali, or the Sport series Banyans.

·
Paddle solo, sleep tandem
3,601 Posts
I love mine, prob will not own another brand other than Maui Jim. check this thread out from a few months ago. just fyi, everyone has their own opinions.

http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=174585&highlight=costa

http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=174136&highlight=costa

just trying to help you out. I personally own the fathoms and love them. they are so light you forget they are there after you've worn them for about a week or so and they adjust to the shape of your head/face.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have worn every pair under the sun, and just sent my first set back to Costa. Hopefully, they will make it right. If not, I still have a set to make it thru!

·
Registered
711 Posts
There is a blue waterproof gear bag floating around West Bay somewhere (or wherever Ike deposited stuff) that has assorted fishing gear, my boat keys and a great pair of Costa's in it. If can you find that bag, you can have the Costa's if I can get my boat keys back.

Yer Friend,

POG

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've had my Stringers with the Green Mirror lenses for several months now, and I am still constantly amazed at the clarity and how much I can see underwater. In clear water, they completely block all glare, allowing me to see fish and baitfish to around 6' deep. I find myself pointing out fish to my fishing partners and they cant ever see what I'm seeing!!! I am a cheap b*****d and would normally NEVER spend $179 on a pair of sunglasses...but I'm a changed man, and would HIGHLY recommend the Costas!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts