2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Boatright custom flats
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about this the other day. For some of us, it's scary to think about, but hang with me here. I bought a boat in January, paid $9,000. Since then, I've been to Academy about 13 dozen times and spent lord knows how much. What does the cost per fish break down to approximately?

Hmmmm, let's see.

Boat - $9000
Tags - $50
License $40
Rods/Reels $700
Anti-Cavitation Plate $250
Anchor/chain/rope $100
Stainless steering wheel $100
Depth Finder $200
New tires for trailer $150
New bearings/springs etc $100
LED Tail lights $50
Lures/Tackle $750
Fuel over 6mo. time $750
New battery for boat $75
Ice Chests $100
2 stroke oil $150
Prop rebuild 4blade ss $200
Portable livewell $100
New bilge pump $20
Live bait over 6mo. ??? $300
Misc stuff(launch fees etc) $500

Estimated grand total $13,685

Total number of fish brought home - 75 (estimated over 6 months)
I don't keep all I catch and I've never "limited out" lol

Ok, so we've got a total of $13685.00 for 75 fish so far this year. Figure 75 fish equals 150 fillets. Divide number of fillets into total spent, and that should give me a cost per fillet.

Hmmmm, let's see here.....

13685/150= $91.23 PER FILLET :eek:

OMG!!! :eek: Dat's some expensiiiive fish!

Sad thing is, I STILL think it's worth every penny just to be out there on the water!
Maybe if I can get into a large school of sand trout and fill up the boat with 'em, my CPF (cost per fillet) will come down to a level that's easier to swallow, LMAO!

Reactions: berto

·
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate
23,559 Posts
"Pity the man who measures the success of a trip by the number of fish in the cooler".

I agree with you, it's still worth every penny no matter how much it costs.

TH

·
TopWater Tango
895 Posts
Man I hope my wife does'nt see this thread.lol I know my deer meat prolly cost a couple hundred bucks a pound.............................sure glad it's healthy for you like the trout and flounder.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Trouthunter said:
"Pity the man who measures the success of a trip by the number of fish in the cooler".
Man im glad I cant do that. or I would of quit this a long time ago.

·
Boatright custom flats
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Careful Berto, that's post # 666 !!!!!

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
Double it, heck triple it .... I'm still going fishing. Maybe the higher cost would weed out what Redfishr calls honyoks. Never play the money game with things youre passionate about, it's an exercise in futility.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
i better throw in a extra post then.. you know how my luck is around here

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
juan said:
Jeff.W man you got a deal, my rig cost $40,000 plus $40,000 to tow it!!!!!!!!!!
WOW 80k in just truck and boat im sure your not hurting at all.. now im poor so my 500 dollar yack is all i have to use.. poor man fishing here

·
Registered
32 Posts
When I caught my first trout out of my rig, I declared to everyone that I was about to eat a $14,000+ fish.
So the way I see it now, catching fish saves me grocery money!

·
Boatright custom flats
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So that settles it. The only way to improve my cost per fish ratio, is to fish MORE! YAY!! Thanks guys!

:cheers:

:birthday2

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
The cost to eat 'em

Jeff;
I figured out a long time ago...Fish caught/cleaned and eaten are way to expensive...
especially if you consider all the time it takes to learn how to catch 'em, clean 'em,
then take of all your equipment...therefore I have decided to release all the fish I catch.
The math is almost the same for both me and you...I just don't have to clean the fish...

Ain't it great...In America we can do this 'fishing thang' any old way we like...

Mustad7731
Jackie

1 - 20 of 31 Posts