2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a single engine center consol offshore boat and the other day when we went out we traveled over 150 nautical miles on the water. It cost me $242 dollars of gas (96 gallons), and 2 gallons of oil, ($30 dollars a gallon). So that is $2 dollars every mile we traveled. The worse part about this, is most of us on this board are more then willing to pay it to get our fix in!!! And every year it seems we have to go farther and farther out to find the good fish. I heard there were over 15 boats out at Falcon last weekend.
What is the answer to this madness?
Anybody heard anything about Hybrid outboard motors?
Watched a special on the news a few months back, they have an engine that runs off water (uses the Hydrogen). Can go 100 miles on 4 ounces. You could fish for free on the water with a motor like that!!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
It's getting very expensive. I went out on a boat with triple 300 2 cycle Yamahas. They burn 22 gallons an hour each at 4500 rpm. That's 66 gal an hour at cruise. It's amazing that center counsels now have reached 40 ft and you can burn 500 gallons in a day and 10 gallons of outboard oil. With ice, fuel, and bait, that trip ran about 1500.

·
Registered
884 Posts
we don't need to save the snapper and do conservation stuff. do anti conservation stuff and support the oil companies as the price rises. the fish will be safe. we won't be able to afford to get out of the intercoastal.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Cost

I am leaving July 10th for two days of Blue Marlin fishing out of Kona, Hawaii. It is costing me 1,600.00 before tips. I know it could be cheaper but I'll be darned if I'm going to watch somebody else reel in my catch of a lifetime. It's me and the wife the first day and then it's all me the second. Two full day's, 8 hours.

·
Yellowbellied Perch Jerker
1,670 Posts
Gotta find someone to split the costs. There seem to be plenty of people willing to go fishing, less who know how, and even less willing to split the costs. Luckily I have friends who will split the costs.

I would be interested in spliting the costs on a boat out of POC if anyone ever finds they need to (your boat, mine is too small for offshore). I have my own tackle, gear, and I don't drink when I fish (also don't smoke). I am not lazy, won't leave you to clean the boat or the fish and I know how to work a gaff and a camera. I weigh 185lbs. I am 39 years old. I might be interested in Freeport or somewhere else if the trip is an overnighter with enough notice. I generally have every Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and every other Wednesday off. E-mail me at [email protected] if anyone needs someone to make the run with them.

·
KYOSHO,WERKS,BYRONS,PRO-LINE
647 Posts
Hey,

I'm no where in ya'll price range. Though, I have a 21' boat and fish in Port A. I live in Houston and trailer my boat down there or any where on texas coast. To fill-up the suburban cost around $80, boat another $80, then etc really adds-up. Thats only in the bays... Plus room... Oh Yea and the price to drive back.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Gas prices now I do make more of an effort to get a full crew for a trip to split gas and bait. A trip 40 miles offshore is now running about $250.00 on my single engine outboard.
Thats just fuel, bait, and ice. Beer is provided by the crew. I provided the boat and tackle, they better bring the beer. I normally have a backup case for the newbie's who find out on the way to the boat that you can't buy beer at 5:00 am.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have a 22' power cat, obviously twin outboards, 4 strokes - get about 2.5 mpg combined at cruise (30 mph). Last trip we did over 150 miles RT offshore (60 out, some puttering around looking), we burned 60 gallons which would be $180 @$3/gal. Ice, bait, boatwash, drinks, etc. was another $120 for a total of $300. Split 4 ways wasn't bad. I try to find a full crew as well to keep the cost <$100 per person.

·
Back in da Saddle
10,140 Posts
I mostly only have my family onboard so I try very hard to stay close and not run to the ends of the earth for snapper...

I have learned simply wait and go less often so I can go further.

I understand that some folks must fish every waking moment but I look at it from a return stand point....I'm not driving down the highway tossing c-notes out the window for heck of it!!!!! if the conditions are marginal I'll go catch Trout and Reds...

John

·
Yellowbellied Perch Jerker
1,670 Posts
I decided long ago that returns on fishing are 90% entertainment, 10% fish. If I thought I was going to catch enough fish to pay for my trip, I would need more cooler space to bring it home. I could buy top choice Kobe beef much cheaper than I could even drive to the coast, much less pay for the entire trip. Still, like you said, I pick my times so that my money is not wasted on battling nature for C notes.

·
the love of my life
9,585 Posts
wow i know what your sayin--- im 5 to 6 hours away depending on where i launch-------- and am making my 3rd trip to the coast- this year- its a must-- that i have some one to pay gas--i trailor the boat all the way down and back-- truck gets 13mpg--- just the drive is expensive-- not counting fuel-- for boat-- hotel-- food-- ice-- soda-- bait--etc-- u get the idea--- but i do have an addiction that must be fed--(fishin)--just like a drug addict-- (ill find a way)---to fish--i got lucky this time--i found some one to pay entire gas bill for boat and truck--and hotel and 1 good meal-- well fish 3 days-- till our arms fall off--and peanut-butter and jelly the rest of the time---it better be crunchy--lol--

·
Cereal Killer
4,153 Posts
haparks said:
wow i know what your sayin--- im 5 to 6 hours away depending on where i launch-------- and am making my 3rd trip to the coast- this year- its a must-- that i have some one to pay gas--i trailor the boat all the way down and back-- truck gets 13mpg--- just the drive is expensive-- not counting fuel-- for boat-- hotel-- food-- ice-- soda-- bait--etc-- u get the idea--- but i do have an addiction that must be fed--(fishin)--just like a drug addict-- (ill find a way)---to fish--i got lucky this time--i found some one to pay entire gas bill for boat and truck--and hotel and 1 good meal-- well fish 3 days-- till our arms fall off--and peanut-butter and jelly the rest of the time---it better be crunchy--lol--
I sleep in the cab of my truck or on the boat, that saves lots of hotel money.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts