2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone done recent Home Owners Insurance Cost comparison?
Also are any of the companies covering wind?
Our insurance co. for the last 4 years has sold out and we got a letter today from ZC Sterling..all they talked about was mold coverage..of course they gave me 4 options with each one costing more..$1582. - 2716. no mention of the rest of the policy that we use to carry (wind, hail, fire, medical, etc) ....no phone number to call either...if I pick any other option besides #1, I have to include a statement from a qualified air quality testing firm and a statement from a Master Plumber that my home is free of leaks....I'm lost here...d

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
There was a thread lately by Mont about insurance companies dropping windstorm coverage as part of the standard homeowners policy in areas prone to damage ie. the beach, Clear Lake area, etc. You would then be insured through Texas Windstorm, the state pool.
We're all paying more now for less coverage. Most people sign a mold exclusion BTW.

·
Senior Mumbler
11,515 Posts
Just be wary of the 'smaller' companies. You don't want to fool yourself into saving a few bucks only to have a hurricane come in and that ins. co. have second thoughts and pull out of the state. Then you're left trying to get coverage when the major co.s may shut down writing any new business and you're scrambing to try and find anyone who will write you. It's what happened in FL.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm thinkin the big buys for sure.... never heard of ZC Sterling...I can get USAA if need be...just know that 4 years ago they were not issueing any policies for home owners in Texas...will call them first...does Allstate do H.O.?

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Hey Sister,

one thing to keep in mind is that Hardly any insurance companies pay for Mold damage anymore.. So that should be a non issue... After Allison, just about every company in texas dropped its coverage for mold....

Allstate does home owners , statefarm etc etc.. The big boys... another company out of galveston is SMC insurance.. All of them insure through Lloyds of London.... Just compare rates and make sure and get all the discounts.. Age, Education, Longevity at your job etc etc

Thomas

·
Vendor
2,793 Posts
As far as I know State Farm will not write you a new home policy unless you have an existing home policy and are replacing it due to a new purchase. I could be wrong though. Several companies offer mold but is usually limited and costly. Allstate has 5000 for mold included in the policy. Tx Fair also offers 5000. It can be confusing so as Thomas suggested, do your homework. Look at the bottom line regardless of what dicounts are offered but make sure you go with a reputable company. Feel free to pm me with any questions.
Brice

Texxan1 said:
Hey Sister,

one thing to keep in mind is that Hardly any insurance companies pay for Mold damage anymore.. So that should be a non issue... After Allison, just about every company in texas dropped its coverage for mold....

Allstate does home owners , statefarm etc etc.. The big boys... another company out of galveston is SMC insurance.. All of them insure through Lloyds of London.... Just compare rates and make sure and get all the discounts.. Age, Education, Longevity at your job etc etc

Thomas

·
Registered
388 Posts
I've got a good option for you . We have policies from top rated insurance companies such as Hartford, Progressive, AIG, Safeco and etc. We can give you the specific coverage you need and you will be with a well backed company. Give my wife an email or call. You will not be disappointed. [email protected] or 832.620.0862. We have been able to help several people on the board and hopefully we can help you as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll definently try and get the homework done..have a feeling the hubby is going to "hen scratch" on the bk of and envelope and then say "here you figure it out..honey"

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
I have had USAA on my home for 5 years now. I used them for renters insurance for 4 years before that and use them for my boat and autos. I love them and their home owners is rather inexpensive. I think that my dwellings coverage is at $200k, my other stuff takes it around $400+ in coverage(I havent looked at my policy in a few years) and I pay less than any of your quotes yearly.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
oh and as far as mold damage. USAA has been known to cover it under flood damage, the kind of flood caused by leaky pipes over time, because that is the general cause. I know of 4 people who have had mold and all 4 of them had it covered under this.

·
Senior Mumbler
11,515 Posts
Just my 2 cents. Stay with Allstate, State Farm, Farmers or USAA. They have a long history in TX and Texas is a major state for them. Hartford, Progressive and the like will pull out at the drop of any bad news. Now they do have excellent credit ratings but it would be nothing for them to pull out of the state if the big one should hit. The ones listed first would have a much tougher time and are more committed for the long run.

·
Registered
388 Posts
pulling out

bluefin said:
Just my 2 cents. Stay with Allstate, State Farm, Farmers or USAA. They have a long history in TX and Texas is a major state for them. Hartford, Progressive and the like will pull out at the drop of any bad news. Now they do have excellent credit ratings but it would be nothing for them to pull out of the state if the big one should hit. The ones listed first would have a much tougher time and are more committed for the long run.
Allstate is already not writing new policies because they feel like they are overexposed. Farmers pulled out a couple years ago. Point is that the companies you have mentioned are not as stable as you think. We have gotten clients just due to the reason that you have mentioned.

Mind you that we are giving you stable, top rated option(s) with other companies. This aren't auto insurance discounters companies. You will receive quotes and coverage from the best available!

·
Registered
397 Posts
My late husband and I have had USAA for over 30 years. For the past few years we've been covered under the state windstorm policy and the federal flood insurance program.

Just talked to them recently (since the policies are now in my name), they do offer mold coverage, but at a hefty price.

You might be able to find a cheaper price, but we have NEVER had a problem with any kind of claim. For me the price of no hassle is worth a few extra bucks.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
My $.02,

I work on the wholesale side of the business, in other words I don't deal directly with the insured/customer, but IMHO there is no substitute for a good agent.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got a few folks working on quotes and a few more to contact..I tell you what alot of time hs been put into this..BTW USAA. which i've been a member at the ripe age of 18..their quotes were outlandish!

·
Super Moderator
3,739 Posts
NurseDBait, be sure to get a clear listing of those items that have limited coverage amounts. Ask about exclusions/limitiations on jewelry, computers, tools, cameras, art, guns, and antiques. I got a very attractive quote from Nationwide but when I checked the policy limitations, it was almost criminal on what they tried to hide from me when they quoted! Cameras: $250, tools: $250, jewelery $1000, computers $500, etc. All will have some limitations on jewelery unless you have a seperate rider but the other limitaions blew me away! If someone offers what seems to be a cheap price, check closely for these limitations. Needless to say, Nationwide Insurance seems like a bunch of crooks to me!

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Let me go find my favorite surgeon..it would be alot easier for him to cut on me then goes through all this...I know that we are shopping for a HOB or ISOHO3 policy..also know that the limitations will be limitless..a funeral will take you to the cleaners like this too.

·
Banned
5,088 Posts
Texxan1 said:
Hey Sister,

Thomas
The one in Galveston is SMI Insurance Agency. I have them on my beach house. They have zero, note, zero customer service. You are on your own if you have a claim. Did I mention they do nothing to help you? With some homework on my part and several phone calls, I had fairly good service from Texas Wiindstorm, the state agency.

·
What about my member?
1,679 Posts
bluefin said:
Hartford and Progressive are both huge in Texas and the United States and there is no doubt in my mind that they will be around writing as long as any direct writer, i.e. State Farm, Allstate and Farmers. Just do your homework and check AM Best Ratings before making a decision. There is no reason at this point to approach a London carrier for homeowners as there are too many companies still writing. Steer clear of Texas Select as they were a major writer of homeowners the past few years but their rating has fallen in the last year and may be down to a C level. It is very unstable and the market is only going to get tighter and harder to place coverage. I have seen Travelers excluding wind to North Montgomery County so get ready for the others to follow suit. Good luck and happy hunting.

Brian

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.