2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Microskiff Mafia
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went out to fish in Redfish/ Corpus Christi Bay early this week and got into a decent bite on one of my last and favorite pearl/ black fat boys. Well unfortunately I had an oversized red come and absolutey crush it and I think it somehow plastically deformed the wire on the inside. I bent it back straight and the lure looks on the outside like it is straight but when i try and work it, it just barrel rolls. Same thing if i reel it in straight. I tried messing with it quite a bit but to no avail. Has anybody ever had this problem? Any suggestions as to how to fix it or should she just be retired? Thanks in advance. Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

·
Registered
14 Posts
a little bend will go a long way so just bend it a little at a time till you get it running true
just drag it beside the boat to see what it is doing and bend it a little and see if it gets better or worse or bend the other direction. also try twisting the hook eye on the back of the lure.

·
Microskiff Mafia
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont think its really a question of the speed of my retrieve bc it worked just fine prior to being hit by that redfish. It's when I twitch it it will roll instead of darting side to side like it usually did. I know people who work them quicker and they wont roll. Thank you for the suggestion though. But anyways I got an idea to figure out whats wrong I'll get back to yall tomorrow. Hope everyone had a merry christmas

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Sounds like your corky got mauled by a red. Good luck bending-contorting it back into usable condition. The trick is to limit those lures to trophy trout and keep the reds off them. :rotfl:

Bet you had fun with that red anyway. :biggrin:

·
Banned
26,320 Posts
A Fatboy is just like a woman. Once it is untrue it will never be right again. With either the lure or the biotch I would just replace it & move on. Sorry for your loss...:cheers:

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I agree its time to put that one in a box and wait for the summer when the fish are in the surf they dont care if it rolls or whatever.I save all my old corkies for the surf they love them there no use wasting six dollars on a jack fish or shark lol.

·
Microskiff Mafia
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All Corkys go to Heaven

So after some ispiration from the all day mythbusters marathon that went on the other day I decided I was going to figure out what exactly was wrong with my beloved corky. The experiment consisted of me connecting a thin aluminum rod to the eye of a standard working Fat Boy (with no hooks) and placing it about a foot and a half from a jet in the pool in my back yard. This was so that it was in a decent flow, yet not so close that the flow was faster than a normal workin speed of a corky, but noneless in a pretty good stream of water. I then submerged a bottle of food coloring a little bit off the nose of the lure and added a few drops. Then i observed the streamlines. It's truly unbelievable just how fine tuned these lures really are to run like they do. I then placed said mauled Corky Fat Boy ( also hookless) onto the same setup and put a few drops of food coloring in. Now unlike mythbusters I couldnt use a high speed camera to see what was going on instead I just used a lot of food coloring. But after a few tries I noticed areas of turbulence forming at the bottom and side of the lure. Now from my knowledge of streamlining I knew that these areas of turbulence was what was causing my lure to spin and what not. So I took it out and realized that the wire had not only bent but also twisted. so that the front hook was not hanging directly in line with the nose of the lure. So i twisted it back and threw it in but it still rolled. Not as bad but not supossed to do what its doing. So I repeated my test and again noticed turbulence on the back right side of the lure. I don't know what was causing it and can' figure it out. What I did figure out is that I have entirely way too much time on my hands and probably should be out fishing instead of fooling around with Corkys and putting food coloring in my pool. However I did throw a few more lures in there and you havent lived until you see the streamlines a crankbaits makes. Anyways I decided to retire the old gal. I know she'll be catching sows in Corky Heaven.

·
Aggie Angler
3,795 Posts
Wow, lil bored huh?

I had bought some Corky's and was slamming some big girls on the KRS last year, gave my dad one and took him down there. I caught a 28.5 trout with barely a mark on it. My dad caught a 28 in Red and ruined it. I have not given up hope on it yet, but it still does not run true. It makes it a little more unique. Now I haven't caught a big girl on it but I have caught some more trout on it. You can move it slower and it wont be as big of a difference. If you try and move it at the same speed as before it will probably twist or rollover. After a bunch of bending it will last for a fish or 2 then some more tweaking. Good luck I wouldn't give up on her yet, those things are rare nowadays!

Give me a shout if you want to fish or something, im down here for the break!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts