2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if there is any common product or substance that any of ya'll use to condition or preserve the cork handles on your rods. I primarily use falcons. The cork holds up well, but over the years it starts to deteriorate. I cannot say that this has ever reached the point of becoming detrimental to the use of the rods, but I am picky about my fishing equipment. The main cause appears to be dry-rot related. Any Suggestions (either on treatment or storage)???
alston4252

·
Parrothead
148 Posts
I use a ligfht coat of U40 Cork Sealant (I think that is the brand), seems to work very nicely. A few things that I do to help save my cork
1. Dont get it wet. I know, not easy to do.
2. Dont store your hooks in the cork. I see some people that use the cork as a hook keep.
3. Dont store the cork in the heat, like your car trunk or in the sun for too long.

Just some points.

-John

·
Registered
199 Posts
the u40 is great for cork I also have used a light coatr of neatsfoot oil on the handle to keep it moist so that it didnt dry out and rot off.

Ramon

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
Get That U40 Cork Seal... I Treat Most Of My Rods With It

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I figured that there was a common remedy on the market. I asked around the last time I was at Academy and they knew of no such product. Who carries this U40 sealant??
alston4252

·
Registered
199 Posts
you will have to order it from some place like mudhole.com or cabelas carries it as well.

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
CABELAS IS A GOOD PLACE, MIGHT TRY ROY'S DOWN AT CORPUS OR DAVIDS TACKLE BOX.... I'M GOIN DOWN TO CORPUS/PORT A TOMMARROW... SHOOT ME A PM IF YOU WANT ME TO PICK A JAR OR TWO UP FOR YOU...jj

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a bunch. I apreciate the offer, but I have already sent my brother to get me some in Houston.
You guys have been very helpful. Good luck to all of you especially in the fishing department.
alston4252

1 - 8 of 8 Posts