2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here ever darkend cork handles? Thought about trying a stain or something like that. Anyone have any idea's. I hate to ruin a perfectly good cork grip testing a theory

·
MHX Pro Staff
1,355 Posts
Although I've tried it, I would assume it would only stain or color the top of the cork and wear off over time making a rather unsightly mess.

·
Banned
960 Posts
wood burning kit at art supply and you burn it then sand it. i've been doing this for a while. i will try and post one i just finish, it is real neat..............bennie

·
Registered
10,344 Posts
Raymond do you have to recoat after time or do you some sort of sealer?
My experience has been that is will require a light sanding/reapp of Tru-oil from time to time, to keep it looking new. I've started using BirchwCasey's sanding sealer, because I didn't care for the darker/gloss look that I got w/ Tru-oil.
Jerry

·
Registered
110 Posts
I want to try to use a soldering iron and burn into the cork. or even somehow making a little redfish and heating it up and burning it into the cork.

·
Banned
960 Posts
burning cork

a wood burning kit is a soldering iron. it is not a wellers soldering gun it is the old type iron. i'm sure you could use a gun but i would practice first. the wood burner is design to draw with on wood. i remember my sister buying me a wood burning kit when i was a kid and it had these little pieces of wood that you would draw on. so one day i was fooling with a piece of burnt cork and put two and two together.
i think this has some endless possiblities so go to it and if it come out post it,i wood like to see..............bennie

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
may a beginner way in with a suggestion that i have used on quite a few things.

i take the old iodine and a very little drop of black inda ink and mix enough to cover what ya think it might take and add to your liking more ink and soak the cork (after its been cleaned and de greased ), it turns out a real rich semi dark color.

i have made a few desk tops and wall shelves using that method but then i also added a clear over the top of that but i know you wont - but with cork it should soak it up well - just keep applying till your happy.

ps if ya do try my method let me know if it worked out for ya.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts