2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this site and like it so far. My family is traveling from Austin to a rented bay house on Copano bay, just outside Rockport, this weekend for four days. I would greatly appreciate any and all input on helping us have a great weekend. We do not have much experience with the coastal areas of Texas. Our house will have a private pier for fishing. One day we have hired a guide for some bay fishing in the area. We do love to fish and was hoping you guys could help us out. Area fishing reports? Open to other tidbits of information outside of fishing also. Thanks in advance.

·
Bird Flu Eradication Team
2,299 Posts
i dont know how the water is in copano with all the rain, we have had, but it has to be getting a little better. Turn the lights on at the pier as around 8:00 at night, and leave them on. use small plasics, plastic shrimp (DOA) or live shrimp in the lights. You will catch something. You should be able to see the bait and trout in the lights. Also fish low and slow along the bottom in the lights for reds.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Copano

Just came back from down there and just about everything is muddy and fresh! Copano Bay is a wash, might be able to find a few reds in all the mud. If you get closer to Port A, from Mud Island down south, the water clears up some. We did most of our fishing from Port A down south, still fishing for us was on the slow side.

·
Registered
918 Posts
You will have a great time, lots of places to eat, try a search for that one. Turn on the light leave them on and throw some speck rigs should do well with that. Guide should be able to put you on some fish in the bay. Be sure and post a report.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Ckill said:
You will have a great time, lots of places to eat, try a search for that one. Turn on the light leave them on and throw some speck rigs should do well with that. Guide should be able to put you on some fish in the bay. Be sure and post a report.
Paradise keys in Key Allegro are one of the great places to eat in Rockport

·
Registered
685 Posts
I agree with Fin Addict Copano Bay is way to fresh right now...Go south towards Port A. We were down there mon - wed and caught over 400 fish. There fish are out there you just got to find them. Soft plastics in bone diamond will produce. Check out Dfergs thread ROCKPORT 7/29-8/01-Great Trip. It might be a litttle helpful
Fin-Addict said:
Just came back from down there and just about everything is muddy and fresh! Copano Bay is a wash, might be able to find a few reds in all the mud. If you get closer to Port A, from Mud Island down south, the water clears up some. We did most of our fishing from Port A down south, still fishing for us was on the slow side.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
If the pier has lights, you might get into a lot of small trout. Buy some gulp 4" curly tail in white or glow if u can find them. I had a friend that fished my pier in Copano/Port Bay and actually caught a lot of little fish under the lights.

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
220swifter said:
If the pier has lights, you might get into a lot of small trout. Buy some gulp 4" curly tail in white or glow if u can find them. I had a friend that fished my pier in Copano/Port Bay and actually caught a lot of little fish under the lights.
The pier does have lights. If we fish with live bait, what do you recommend? Where should we buy the bait?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Live shrimp is the easiest. There are several bait stands in Rockport. I have found that at night, if the fish are there, lures work almost as well. Get some fresh dead shrimp and fish off the bottom. I have heard that black drum have been around, and if not, the occasional gafftop/stingray/hardhead can keep the kids interested.

Good Luck

·
Registered
685 Posts
Get Texas Tackle Factory makes double shad rigs. Buy a bunch of those and you won't even need live bait.
dcathey01 said:
The pier does have lights. If we fish with live bait, what do you recommend? Where should we buy the bait?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts