2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Live to fish, work to live
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I don't know squat about soccer. My daughter played club a few years ago and i 'helped" by showing up at practice. Been watching a bit of the world cup on spanish language television and I do believe those announcers could liven up an LPGA seniors TV broadcast.

What I have seen has been impressive in terms of watching teams play together to pass to a spot and control the ball.

Am I the only ****** watching?

·
Done Wit Dat
7,535 Posts
I coached soccer out of a book one year. It was great fun! We went deep in the playoffs. The other coaches joked that we did that well because we didn't know any better. As a coach, knowing those kids, it was great. HOWEVER, I don't think soccer will ever be as popular in the US as it is in the rest of the world. We have other games that lend themselves to our viewing sensibilities. The constant action lulls you and the bathroom/fridge breaks just aren't there. It is not as good of a spectator sport for this reason. I like it because it trains kickers for me and is good training for backs and receivers in the offseason. I like it better than basketball, but I like Cricket better than basketball too. I like Curling better than basketball. Heck, I like shaving better than basketball. I hate shaving. - Coach

·
11,766 Posts
I tried to watch a game the Brazilians played. My coworker is ate with the soccer bug and said that was the team to watch, if for no other reason, just to see how it is done. I think I made 10 minutes.The players are some exceptional athletes but the game just didn't appeal to me. Not enough scoring I guess.

·
aka Salty Nacho
4,427 Posts
You aren't the only ****** watching the World Cup, but you may be the only one watching it on spanish language TV. I love the World Cup, but don't watch soccer much at any other time. With it now in Houston, I'm sure that will change. I played for seven years when I was younger, so I may have more interest in it that most. It got to be too much of a hassle, though, because we only had one team in the town, and we were twelve. When you're in the Lubbock/Big Springs area, that means lots of travel just to have a season. Soccer is fun to watch if you just focus on the scoring chances. Also, think of the lulls in the action as being in the huddle in football. Football is nothing but short bursts of action with lots of down time between each burst. Soccer is pretty much the same way, but the ball stays in play.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I've watched some of it. All three of my kids have or are still playing. I coach both of my son's teams and I referee. I didn't know a thing about soccer until my kids started to play. There wans't any soccer around when I was growing up here in Houston. I will have to admit that it is more fun to play than it is to watch. Kinda like golf.

·
That DamnYankee!!
4,077 Posts
Fox Soccer Channel is carrying a bunch of the WC games. I watch the English Premiership League games during the season & the UEFA cup games.

Both our daughters played club & select league for about 5 years. One of them will be playing freshman soccer when school starts up again in AUG.

As a kid growing up in NY we used to go to NY Cosmo's games at Yankee Stadium to see Pele and some of the other greats of the game. My younger Bro was a Cosmo's ball boy 1 season, that was pretty cool and it got us great seats.

Jeff

·
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its better on spanish TV though

NaClH2O said:
You aren't the only ****** watching the World Cup, but you may be the only one watching it on spanish language TV.
Channel surfing when nothing better is on I will watch it but only on COPA Mundial in spanish. I just like how excited those announcers get and picking up maybe 20% of what they are saying makes it interesting, especially after a few Miller Lites and a victory for my Astros.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You should all tune in on saturday for the US game against Italy, US must win or face 1st round boot. They played pretty bad against the Czech Republic. The Czech's have a couple of players (Nedved, Rosicky, Cech) that are as good as anybody in the tournament. Now the US faces Italy and Italy looked pretty solid in their win agains Ghana. In case you didnt know, its Ghana's, as well as Ivory Coast, Togo's 1st trip ever to the world cup. It may not be exciting to you because you never played the game or you dont understand the game, but as far as sporting events go, the World Cup is truly just that, a tournament for the world.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I played all the way through college and still enjoy watching it. Most Americans don't like watching it because they don't understand it. They think the only reason you watch it is to see them make goals but that is only a small aspect of the game. You have to have played the game to understand and appreciate the talent it takes to handle the ball with your feet as well as they do. Most people that don't like soccer either didn't have it available growing up, were never in good enough shape to play or talented enough to control a ball with their feet. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching football but you have to appreciate soccer to enjoy watching it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've been watching every WC game I can. I grew up playing soccer and still play three times a week, outdoor and indoor. It's been awesome watching it on ESPN2 and Univision.

Believe it or not, soccer is catching on in the US!

I strongly suggest people attend Houston's very own MLS team - "Houston Dynamo". They're a great team, second in their division, only behind Dallas.

It's an excellent environment to watch a game especailly for a family, the fans are great, the tickets are very reasonable ($15), and before you know it you'll be a fan. For example they have a father's day pack this weekend, $50 for 4 tickets, 4 drinks, 4 hot dogs, 4 souviniers (SP?) and a parking pass. See the pros play live and you'll be amazed.

tunastuna

·
Life is tough, tougher if you are stupid
3,507 Posts
One more ****** here watching the World Cup in both English and Spanish. I played youth soccer and when I turned 18 I played for 15+ years in a local mens league. For 2 years of those 15 years, I played in a local mens Mexican league. The Mexican league was very different than any other league I played in, much more physical. Maybe because I was a minority in that league. I was also one of the tallest/biggest at 6'-1" and 185. Some of the other players called me El Gigante! I agree with rcw that most Americans don't understand it therefore they don't like watching it. Lack of scoring also distracts Americans but I am like coachlaw, I would rather watch a 0-0 draw in soccer than watch any basketball game. There are the plays within the game soccer that don't necessarily lead to goal scoring that make the game interesting for me. I am hoping the US team can rebound and take 3 points from Italy, although I'll admit it will be very difficult to do. I would like to see a Brazil/ Germany final. I don't care who wins, I want to see an entertaining game. I also refereed youth games and high school games for about 5 years while I was playing. Knowing and understanding the game is key to liking the game. I have always said that soccer players are probably the best "in shape" athletes out of all athletes. No one can match their endurance and skill with a ball.

·
Done Wit Dat
7,535 Posts
What rcw said is dead on. It is a game that takes exceptional skill and fitness. It is a simple game at its roots, but there are nuances that you have a hard time understanding if you weren't brought up with it. I still remember me and the other coach reading soccer books DURING THE GAME on the sidelines. We also played Sega FIFA soccer to try to learn. HAHAHAHAHA It was the blind leading the blind, but we had fun. We had a kid from Nigeria who was the real coach. This kid was phenominal. When I came to TX, I stopped coaching it because our school didn't have it. I don't think I'll ever coach it again. I'm too fat now to work the drills! Anybody want my soccer coaching books?

·
Freelance Gynocolgist
727 Posts
Like rcw said, the people who rag on it and don't watch it....either didn't have the skills to play it well or never played. It doesn't look like it now but I played all the way from 4-5 thru college, and still love to watch the GOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLL GOALA GOALA GOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAALLLLLL on the spanish networks. (wish I could get back in shape to play again) Most folks remember the year the World Cup was in the USA years back more for the OJ california "murder" chase than the year the best teams in the world played soccer here. I went to I think 2 of the games in Dallas at the Cotton bowl, awesome stuff.

·
Aggie Mom
5,386 Posts
I work for a Danish company. All of management is from Denmark. They have installed satellite and purchased a 50" hi def so that WC can be watched! Actually, the whole office is getting into it and since Denmark is not playing, the stress level is zero.

·
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
portalto said:
I work for a Danish company. All of management is from Denmark. They have installed satellite and purchased a 50" hi def so that WC can be watched! Actually, the whole office is getting into it and since Denmark is not playing, the stress level is zero.
Sweet. Are you watching en espanol?

·
Aggie Mom
5,386 Posts
No, ESPN 2! Remember, with all the guys here in the office, no female gets to touch the remote control.

·
Registered
13,287 Posts
Another follower here. With the relatively poor showing against the CZ's (but they have a very good team), we got to do something with Italy. Think the Italians will be too much for us, and we will be looking at going home. Going home with this draw is no shame though.

Of course, if we beat Italy, I expect revolution in Italy. Still, its possible.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I was pulling for Trinidad and Tobago yesterday against England. They are from our region (CONCACAF), as is Mexico and Costa Rica. They played them well and had their second draw for 60 minutes but then Crouch and Gerrard put their stamp on the game. The loss means another CONCACAF team is out, following Costa Rica. England have looked dominating in their wins, but I dont think they have faced a real contender yet, Gerrard's goal was awesome.

My picks for the following 9 matches:
Argentina- SerbiaMontenegro, ARGENTINA
Mexico- Angola, MEXICO
Netherlands- Ivory Coast, pickem(Draw)
Portugal- Iran, PORTUGAL
Czech Republic- Ghana, CZECH
Italy-USA, ITALY
Japan- Croatia, CROATIA
Brasil-Australia, BRAZIL
France-Korea, FRANCE

No big surprises in these picks, best matches (wide open, attacking) I think will be Argentina-Serbia, Netherlands- Ivory Coast, Italy-USA, CZ-Ghana, BRA-AUS.

Argentina has a key player that is injured, Lionel Messi, all of about 5'4 tall. They say its a minor thing with his left foot, but he was not able to play for his club team, Barcelona for the last couple of months due to another injury. Serbia needs a win to stay alive and this will open up the game a little. If you want to watch how one player can control the entire game, keep your eyes on Juan Roman Riquelme for Argentina, not the best defending nor fastest nor strongest player, but excellent touch and control on the ball, superb passing and makes it look so simple.

My productivity level has dropped significantly and I dont think it will improve until July!

One month out of every four years isnt too much to commitment , is it?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Looks like the only team wide open attackinging came from Argentina today. ****, they killed Serbia-Montenegro. Can't wait to see Mexico today!
-KC

1 - 20 of 20 Posts