2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's The Best Way To Cook Them.i Caught Some Over The Weekend Along With Some Snappers. Never Caught Kings Before. The Filets Were Dark And Blood'y . To Be Honest They Looked Like **** But Stuck Em The Freeze

·
Don't Tease The Dog !!!!!!
315 Posts
you should bleed kings right after you catch them. As for now, you can still cook them, I would grill them. Soak them in buttermilk for a couple of hours, then wipe off the extra milk and put a thin coat of MAYO not miracle whip but real MAYO on the top and season to taste. You will not taste the mayo if you just put a thin layer, between the milk and Mayo you will kill the game taste.

Maddog

·
Registered
238 Posts
Throw them away

I will be truthful here! they taste like **** and are extremely gamey. Do not waste your time. they are like duck and geese, everybody says they taste great when cooked correctly but that is not the truth.

·
Bird Flu Eradication Team
2,299 Posts
I completly disagree. You just have to bleed them, then ball them. King balls are one of my favorite things to eat. Serve of a plate of king balls and anyone will be pleased. I wont eat them any other way.

G

·
I Take Mine Cut The Blood Line Out Put Some Tonys,lemon Juice,sliced Onion And Lemon.wrap In Foil And Put On The Grille Till The Meat Starts To Flake....

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Grill them over an open fire on one of those cedar planks that you soak in water.
When they are done... throw away the kingfish meat and eat the board!!!!

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
You may want to check the 2005/2006 TPWD fishing regs. Somewhere in it states a warning regarding mercury content in those fish that are a certain length. (46 inches :confused: and longer). CF?

·
Texas Lady Angler
2,410 Posts
My mother would cut them into steaks and then press out the little balls and grill them on the grill. I don't eat a lot of fish but I didn't think they were too bad so that must be an OK way to prepare them. Don't remember them tasting gamey. I'm not sure if they were bled or not when they were caught.

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
We had some last weekend that turned out great. We had never eaten them before and go figure... it tasted like fish. All we did was soak them in milk for an hour then a little tonys salt pepper corn meal fry... not bad not bad at all I was actually suprised

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
cooking king

Filet
Soak in butter milk for an hour or so...
Cut into thumb size cube pieces.
Marinate in ketch-up and fresh ground pepper.
Pre fry some bacon,wrap it around your fish and grill!

Enjoy,
RL

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Good advice about bleeding them. This will help alot. IMHO kings are pretty good eating. As soon as I catch them I bleed them. I usually fillet them out and well marinate them in italian dressing and coat them a little with Chef Produmme (sp?) spices (Seafood magic). Then grill them over mesquite. Pretty good stuff!

·
Banned
555 Posts
Soak Them In Ranch Dressing For 1 Or 2 Hours Mix With A Little Pepper Garlic Powder And Some Tony's Cook In A Skillet On Medium The Best Tasting King You Will Ever Flop A Lip Over

·
Registered
5,803 Posts
Just curious how do you guys bleed king?

Where do you cut them and how? And do you hang them over the side for a bit so the boat doesn't look like a bad horror movie?

·
Banned
555 Posts
I Don't Bleed Persay All I Do Is Gaff Them Most Of The Blood Leaves Then . Then On The Meat Cut The Bloodline Out . Nice Pic By The Way L M F A O

32 Cc Wellcraft T 250's

·
Registered
5,803 Posts
willfish4food said:
to bleed kings.. once caught slice their tail and snap that bone.. and the blood will come pourin out.
Sorry I probably sound stupid but I haven't caught many kings.

Slice the tail all the way off and then snap which bone? The bone right above where you sliced?

·
Banned
204 Posts
I cut mine into small cubes soak in buttermilk then bread them and deep fry I have always liked the taste of kings. Another way is to stuff with a piece of jalapeno wrap in bacon and cook. Anything wrapped in bacon is good.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts