2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cooked some sheephead last nigh. Put a small amount of olive oil in a pan and put a little salt and pepper on the fish with garlic powder and some ground dill. Put the fish in and fried it on each side for a couple of minutes. Steamed up some fresh veg. and a small potato. Man was it good. It makes a good allternative to deep frying fish. Sheeps are a little hard to clean but taste very good.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Just proves that with enough seasoning, a pine board can be made tasty! lol:sheepy: =:work:=:tongue: lol

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pine has a little bitter taste to it. Ill tell you guys what, my friend smoked a big chunk of jack crevelle and it was good. Yes that right, it tasted kind of like a piece of tuna. He used oak and hickory to smoke it with. I think if he would have marinated it in something it would have been even better.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I did the same this weekend. Marinated mine in 1/2 lemon pepper and 1/2 italian dressing. Placed directly on the grill for 5 min each side, then wrapped them in foil and poured marinade over them and cooked away from fire for about 20 min. Very tasty indeed!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
mmm mmm good

ar_mcadams said:
pine has a little bitter taste to it. Ill tell you guys what, my friend smoked a big chunk of jack crevelle and it was good. Yes that right, it tasted kind of like a piece of tuna. He used oak and hickory to smoke it with. I think if he would have marinated it in something it would have been even better.
Don't worry AR, I know they taste good. If other people don't want to eat, that's fine with me! :) As far as I am concerned, they taste better than trout.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
OUTLAW said:
I did the same this weekend. Marinated mine in 1/2 lemon pepper and 1/2 italian dressing. Placed directly on the grill for 5 min each side, then wrapped them in foil and poured marinade over them and cooked away from fire for about 20 min. Very tasty indeed!
LOL, like I said, with enough seasoning, anything can be made good enough to eat! I'll admit, yes they are tasty, but more work than is worthy of the small piece of meat you get.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
I just knew that was comming J LOL.....................................later,Dave

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
"I tried sheephead once, I did not inhale and never tried it again"

"I tried it, and I really tried to inhale. I was incapable of inhaling"

Bill Clinton on Sheepshead LOL!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Argo said:
Anyone ever tasted mullet? I think it is great.[
actuall my friend plans to eat a big one next time we go fishing. Not me ,I AM NOT eating a mullet. He has a little **** *** in him and was over eas in the 1960s and will eat almost anything. But he can make anything taste good to./QUOTE]

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
OH HEck, I will admint it, One time Jack Daniels talked me into trying mullet, Actually we caught a big one in a throw net and my friend grabbed it and took it away, next thing ya know he is throwing it on the pit. We had about 20 to 25 people at the house during this time and eveybody that took a bite actually said it tasted perty good, I took alittle piece and tried it, it was okay (did'nt taste like chicken). The whiskey went down soon after.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
SHEEPSHEAD? YOU BETCHA! If you've never eaten sheepshead you're really missing out on some delectible table fare.
My first experience came about 10 years ago. Pam's boys would throw the cast net for hours around the piers in front of the house just for the heck of it. They came running up to the porch one day yelling for us to come see what they caught. To my amazement they had a sheepshead that would not fit in a 5-gallon pail. At their insistence I filleted it (really need sharp blades in an electric knife) and fried it along with some trout fillets for dinner. What a surprise... we've never turned one back since! We do not catch near as many as when we took live shrimp for the kids and for fishing customers, but we still snag a few... mostly in winter.
EJ

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
sheeps

Actually, they are one of the best tasting inshore fish there is. However, like someone else said, they are a pain in the posterior to clean and you only get such a small piece of meat.

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
Mullet is actually sold in seafood stores out in florida and is pretty expensive too. I was suprised to see it there but it was. I though it tasted good but have not eaten it since I was a kid. I pretty much eat anything though without discrimination.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts