2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Continually Breaking New Ground and New Firsts.......

2K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  RipTide 
#1 ·
Well, where did all the big Huevos Come From? As most of my friends know, I went on a job interview back in the later part of July. You may remember I told you it went well. Three days after I returned, I called ol' George B. (former fellow co-worker from days gone by and present QA manager at Duratek in Oak Ridge) and he said "I think you got the job...." Well much time passes and I remain patient as Job and call to touch base from time to time just to find out: "There hasn't been any decision made...." each of the four times I called. Meanwhile, I pass up two short term temporary jobs at other sites that could have kept me employed where upon completion would have brought in about $70,000.

IrraIrragardless, if I wouldn't have called Duratek last week to find out the job had been put "on-hold," I would have never found out at all. About fifteen (15) minutes ago I hit the (send) button E-Mailing the v.p. a "well managed" message (firm but not vulgar) reading him the riot act regarding the biblically monsterous level of unprofessionalism for not at least having a minute consideration in not keeping me appriased of the status of this hiring decision. I also stated "I am partly to blame, as I should have known better to have never ever had any dealings with George B. in any way, shape or form, etc., etc." Implying, of course, the truth as to his real allegiance....to himself, etc. I told the v.p. to see that my resume finds its way into the proper shreading machine. Best Regards, CF?

Anyway whatever happens I still have several other irons in the fire. I feel like the good torpedoeman that I am having launched two dead-on amidships.....now so long as the d___ things don't turn around and head back in my direction! LOL! CF? :question:

See less See more
#3 ·
"Take THAT job and shove it....

Good for you, John!! A guy with your smarts should never have to put up with that kind of nonsense. You still have your skills to offer the market and you WILL do alright. You got what they need and you still bounce pretty well so I know you will emerge victorious...eventually.

Hope it happens for you sooner than later but I know it will happen.

Non illigumus carborundum! (don't let the ******** grind you down!)

#4 ·
Latin

WJ - "nihil illegitami carborundum" was taped to the edge of my desk the last 10 or so years I taught. It kept me going when idiot administrators tried to ruin my program or blame me when the football team lost.

CF - Hang in - something good will turn up.

Bandman

#5 ·
Bandman

I am having trouble with that phrase. My latin is poor, ( really, who can you talk too) does it mean Don't let the Bast**ds grind you down? If so, pretty cool, I would like to use that on something.

#6 ·
Hey, Come From?

We haven't met yet, but I've been following this board and your postings for awhile. I wish you the best.

I cringed when I read that you had passed up those temp jobs for a cool $70,000, waiting on those bastages.

It is MHO that people want what they can't have. Keep applying for permanent ones but take the temps, as tell the others "Hey, I won't be available until....., as I have other obligations, etc." Let them know YOU are in DEMAND, and they will just have to WAIT!

In the meantime, Fish Hard!

Best Regards,
Pam

#8 ·
Bandman...

Bandman said:
WJ - "nihil illegitami carborundum" was taped to the edge of my desk the last 10 or so years I taught. It kept me going when idiot administrators tried to ruin my program or blame me when the football team lost.

CF - Hang in - something good will turn up.

Bandman
Could you use a Jr. High School level B Flat Tenor Sax Player? I think I still remember some Dave Clark 5 numbers like "Bits and Pieces!" LOL! CF? :rotfl:

#10 ·
Allright, which dialect is correct?

Walkin' Jack said:
Bill, that is correct. It means exactly that. :)

Bandman, could it just be a different dialect? :p :D Example: I ain't a gonna have me no pie/I shall have no pie.
The way I learned it was: illegitami non carborundum

But then I learned it from someone from deep east Texas, but he did have a PHD in Quantum Physics...and smoked funny cigarettes...and drank wine all the time...(sigh)... nevermind!

#11 ·
Clarinet, here!

Badhabit said:
2 Cool, I played sax in HS too, started with alto in JH, then switched to tenor in HS......Marching band and the whole nine yards, even UIL contest.... Thought I was Boots Randolf...LMAO
Thought I was Pete Fountain! LOL! Bet I couldn't hit a lick with it now. Besides I saw the price of reeds the other day. I used to use them for dentil floss!~

#14 ·
Darrell, You Prolly Went Farther Than Me...Big Bastages Stole My Horn And Forced...

Bay Gal said:
Hey, Come From?

We haven't met yet, but I've been following this board and your postings for awhile. I wish you the best.

I cringed when I read that you had passed up those temp jobs for a cool $70,000, waiting on those bastages.

It is MHO that people want what they can't have. Keep applying for permanent ones but take the temps, as tell the others "Hey, I won't be available until....., as I have other obligations, etc." Let them know YOU are in DEMAND, and they will just have to WAIT!

In the meantime, Fish Hard!

Best Regards,
Pam
me directly into football. Did that until they came out with InaGodaDaveda in Jr. year...told them where they could put their football....must learn bass guitar, must learn bass guitar. Starred doing that, too!

Pam, I look forward to meeting you, too. You must have been in 9th grade somewhere when me and Doc Davis et al roamed the hallowed halls as stud seniors in San Antonio. Different days back then as kiddos. Much conceded hateful attitudes back then. Much has changed. There is a reason for all this. Haven't completely sorted it all out. Watching T.V. tonight and who is this Paris Hilton? I'm thinking who would ever want to....? You mature girls will always be the best. Take care, CF? :bluefish:

#16 ·
I never played music

I made some attempts with a guitar, I play air guitar as well as anyone but I did learn language.
Of your cool rod racks I say this:
Materiam superabat opus
The workmanship surpassed the subject matter. (Simply 2cool)

OK, I have drawn a blank on some verse but my wife just said to me
Difficile est tenere quae acceperis nisi exerceas
It is difficult to retain what you may have learned unless you should practice it. So she is a smart arse and let's me know it...LOL Heck, for all I know my spelling is so bad who knows what I wrote.

#17 ·
I agree, I think?...

bill said:
I made some attempts with a guitar, I play air guitar as well as anyone but I did learn language.
Of your cool rod racks I say this:
Materiam superabat opus
The workmanship surpassed the subject matter. (Simply 2cool)

OK, I have drawn a blank on some verse but my wife just said to me
Difficile est tenere quae acceperis nisi exerceas
It is difficult to retain what you may have learned unless you should practice it. So she is a smart arse and let's me know it...LOL Heck, for all I know my spelling is so bad who knows what I wrote.
Ergo Sum? LOL! I have to admit I got out of Latin as soon as I figured out what it was all about. But it's the root, right? Thanks for the compliment, and well expressed, I might add! Your wife is very wise! Enough of this! LOL!

#18 ·
I have been amazed that

to me it is a dead language, yet you can find it spoken or written. My family is part of the Seminole tribe, and I can not speak the languge, my father was not tought the language because when he was a child English was stressed. The language is not written and it will not be long before I fear is gone forever, even though the language is trying to be brought into the school system in OK.

#20 ·
Hmmm?

bill said:
My family is part of the Seminole tribe, and I can not speak the languge, my father was not tought the language because when he was a child English was stressed. The language is not written and it will not be long before I fear is gone forever, even though the language is trying to be brought into the school system in OK.
That seems to me to be very important. It may be my age, but we are losing too many contacts with our personal history. I agree that we should all be fluent in english in this country, but should not lose the first. The nuances are too important.

#21 ·
Thanks For Asking....The Reply I Got Today....

at least wasn't "Stickiti Youpus Recti," LOL! Here is what the v.p. Pat Hopper sent back today, "John, I apologize for any inconvenience you experienced. This is not what I intend nor Duratek intends business to be done. Nothing other than I screwed up. I appreciate your candor so I/Duratek can somehow rectify the situation.

Pat."

He didn't exactly nominate me for "Director of Regulatory Compliance," but he may remember me someday for supervisor of "Humugus Sili Wit Cahounis." LMFAOAM. CF? :eek:hwell:

G
#22 ·
Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

It's not real latin. It is from one of the Harvard Band's fight songs, the Ten Thousand Men of Harvard. It comes from Illegitimum, or Illigitamate, and the mineral Carborundum, which is very hard and frequently used for making grinding wheels. Hence, you get Bastids Don't Grind, or Don't let them grind you down. The song is all made up Latin to sound and is sort of a joke.

Here's the song,

http://hcs.harvard.edu/~hub/songs/tenthou.shtml

First Verse
Illegitimum non carborundum;
Domine salvum fac.
Illegitimum non Carborundum;
Domine salvum fac.
Gaudeamus igitur!
Veritas non sequitur?
Illegitimum non carborundum -- ipso facto!

Fourth Verse
Ten thousand men of Harvard want vict'ry today,
For they know that o'er old Eli
Fair Harvard holds sway.
So then we'll conquer old Eli's men,
And when the game ends, we'll sing again:
Ten thousand men of Harvard gained vict'ry today!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.