2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
"Converting Bait to Filets Since 1964"
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made 2 trips last week and the fishing was pretty good. One trip with my fahter-in-law and we caught a huge blue on jugs. I thought he was going to break my fingers when I picked him up by the gills. We didn't weigh him but I would guess he was 25 lbs. My father-in-law isn't to good with a camera as you can see below.

I took the boys on Saturday and we did O.K. early under the bridge. We caught 4 cats right off the bat then they shut off. We spent the next 2-3 hours catching hybrids on shad and the boys loaded up on the bream.

Attachments

Reactions: txjoker

·
Registered
745 Posts
How are you guys making your jugs,,,thinking about heading up there this friday afternoon for some trolling and thought about making some jugs to set while I do that...

·
We all have it coming......
8,792 Posts
Start here: jugs There are pictures to give you an idea. If you have any questions, shoot me an email at [email protected] I'll do what I can to help you out.

Quackerbox said:
How are you guys making your jugs,,,thinking about heading up there this friday afternoon for some trolling and thought about making some jugs to set while I do that...

·
"Converting Bait to Filets Since 1964"
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've just been using the foam ones you buy from Academy. I know there expensive but it works alright for me.

I take the string off and replace with black or green trotline string. I put a one ounce weight on the bottom then 3 hooks above the weight about 2 feet apart. I put a loop in the mainline with a swivel on the loop then attach a 8"-10" leader with I think they call it an oysterman's knot. Medulla posted a picture of the knot on here one time. Using that knot with the swivels has made all the difference in the world. I don't necessarily catch more but I sure untangle them a lot less.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Thanks guys I've done a little searching and like the "flaggin" jug idear. I know plenty plumbers to get some pipe from, just have to find something to cover the blue foam with that I'll get from the water noodle thats collecting dust in the barn.

How much weight are you putting in the pipe

·
Registered
14,411 Posts
That's a fine catch of fish and a hoss of blue! I use those flag style jugs on Livingston and they are a lot of fun to fish with. I put them out close to a waypoint where I troll for whites and catch many big blues, usually early in the morning then they shut off about 10:00. They may bite again in the evening, but I'm usually home taking it easy by then.I now fish them with short(3+') leaders with one or two hooks and no weight. I stob a couple of threadfin shad on the 4/0 circle hooks. The fresher the better.

·
Banned
2,070 Posts
enjoy those filets.....

·
We all have it coming......
8,792 Posts
shadslinger said:
Glue the caps good as the weight slapping them will bust them off if you don't.
And, it helps if you put a little piece of the foam or a dab of silicone inside the cap on each end as a shock absorber. Otherwise, it will eventually knock and end off. Has never happened to me personally, but, know of several accounts.

·
Registered
745 Posts
OK so we made the flaggers and hit the lake about 5pm set the jugs and went to catch some shad for bait later. Jugs soaked for about 1.5-2 hrs came back and the first 2 had some big blues on them one abuot 28 inches and the other about 24 caught on live perch. The other six zeroed :-( Picked them up and baited some holes......All I can say is thank goodness for the jugs cause we fished till 2am and caught one gaspergoo on a minner. I've never struck out like that on cats???

Guess we'll try it again on the next full moon, seems like I've always had better luck on a good brite moon. Did get to see some idiot go from30mph to 0 when he ran a ground on a sandbar about 150 yards from us. When are people going to learn that if you dont know the lake go home when the sun goes down?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts