2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I get about 60+foot of line out and want to keep feeding line i start seeing a swist in my leader. as i add power it will whip around and get tangled up on the fly line. YUCK.........

what am i doing wrong?

·
I'm Wes, I'm a fishaholic.
43 Posts
Leader Twist = tailing loop?

It sounds to me like you are experiencing what I believe is called a "tailing loop or leader"--something, I believe, every flycaster experiences sooner or later. It often results in "wind knots" which can weaken leaders considerably. First of all, 60 feet is plenty of line to carry in the air. As you feed more line you must wait increasingly longer for the entire flyline and leader to completely unroll on your back and forward casts. I used to try and carry as much line as possible to try and achieve longer casts. While it can be done, it is difficult and requires tremendous timing as you increase the amount of fly line you are false casting. It can be quite fatiguing. As an alternative, I try to carry less line on my false casts and "shoot" line on the last back cast and/or single or double haul to increase my distance.

The main thing that will prevent the tailing leader is to shorten your cast and practice turning over your leader sharply. To do this requires a smooth, firm deceleration of your flyrod on the forward cast. "The way to make the flyline really go is to make the flyrod really stop." I can't remember who said or wrote that, but I have to remind myself of that regularly. I hope this helps you and forgive me if I have offered you information that you are already familiar with. Good luck and good fishing!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I sould try shooting my line rather than trying to carry the total distance of the cast in the air? I know what you are talking about with shooting, I have seen people fishing for tarpon doing it. is it a good way to present a fly in shallow water? that is why i was trying to carry so much is to be able to better judge where I will lay it on the water. I am guessing it is 60' when I lay it on the water it goes from the bow to the sturn of the big E at captian eliots. haven't paced it out but seems to be a solid 60'

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dc1502 said:
that is 133' wow!!!
shut up to the end of that dock is not 133 feet. there is no way my kook self is throwing 133' I know that for sure!

here we go, how long is a tipical weight forward fly line? I know I can get down to the backing +some. how long you think that is. counting tippet 9'

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
You can also get a tailing loop from powering with your casting hand in an upward motion at the end of the cast. You can duplicate this by moving your hand forward during the cast and then just give it a little upward thrust as you're fininshing the cast. I bet you'll wrap the leader and the line. It's a common result from trying to put too much power in the cast.

To cure it, be sure your hand travels straight forward or down when finishing the cast, without the upward kick. Immediately after stopping your cast to get the loop forming, continue to press your thumb forard so that the thumb nail on your casting hand ends up parallel to the ground. I know this sounds weird, but I read it in a magazine a year or two ago and it's always worked well for me.

Bruce

1 - 6 of 6 Posts