2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Congrats on your new power plant. I forgot to tell you something the other day, you need to watch closely. Check your oil often. After 4 days of straight running with mine, it shut down and when it did, my heart sunk. I checked the oil and found it shut down on low oil. I added more and started right up. I was advised by an air conditioner man to change the oil every 48 hours of continious running even though the book doesn't say to do that also. I looked in the book and my manual does say these things burn a little oil and mine says it burn aproximately 1/2 quart of oil per day and mine only holds 1.7 quarts of oil. The A/C man said that as oil gets a little old, it can reduce output power, however as large as yours it, it probably doesn't hurt anything. Still so, you need to shut it down every couple of days and check oil level. Easier to change as if you put even just a little too much, it also get oil in your air breather and will also reduce power output. I started changing mine every 2 days as suggested and put the 1/7 quarts in generator and no more problems. Mine says to only use synthetic also, and don't use regular motor oil. Since yours is a newer model and larger, yours may be different, but need to check it out anyway, expecially the level. It automatically shuts down on low oil, but if that part goes out after warranty, you just burnt an engine.

·
El Viejo
23,417 Posts
Thanks for the pointers, Dale..My deal with Weeks is two years of included service, whatever is necessary or needed.. I quizzed them on changing oil every 48 hours DURING a hurricane and she told me that was THEIR responsibility and to quit worrying about it.LOL.. Believe me..after the first two year period is up, I am climbing on that annual service contract FOREVER with them..think it runs about $150/yr...and that is a steal as far as my old 'non-mechanically inclined' bones are concerned..LOL

Hopefully...in my lifetime at least...it will NEVER have to run 48 hours continually.:biggrin:

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Let's see now....I'm gonna' need an extension cord 12.8 miles from our house to yours!
Congrats on the new gen plant! jg

·
El Viejo
23,417 Posts
galvbay said:
Let's see now....I'm gonna' need an extension cord 12.8 miles from our house to yours!
Congrats on the new gen plant! jg
LOL, GB..after these last two weeks I think I HAVE 12 miles of extension cord.. at least it seemed like that much with my 'squirrely' hook ups I had running all over the house..:)

Still gonna keep my ol' trusty 3500W on hand 'just in case'..LOL..

It's available to Bobby if he needs it when/if he tackles his house. Sure hope he's able to salvage it. The 3500 sucker drinks about 8 gallons of gas per day, though...so I dunno if that would help or compound his problems...

Waiting for a call if needed, Bob....

jaimesad3sm

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now that is a good deal Jim. Keeps from having to worry about it. When mine ran for a little over 4 days and shut down because of low oil, my heart sank for a minute until I found out it was low on oil and it restarted right back up again after adding more. Once I looked at manual and saw that it was normal to use a little oil, I felt better also. That is great that they do that kind of service for you. I agree, $150 for a contract is not a bad deal. I bought mine from Home Depot and the service on mine stopped when I drove off the parking lot or out the door. At least there is a local shop that works on these things also locally, so I am not completely out in the dark. That is great that they got you covered that well. Mont has got your back, thankfully.

I agree with you. I hope this is the last time I ever need mine again, but it is there just in case.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts