2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not intended to start a rumor because my question is based upon a 2nd hand rumor.

Have yall ever heard of a neighborhood being condemned ? Evidently an insurance adjustor told one of my parents neighbors to hold off on making repairs to his flooded home because its a possibility ( however remote) that the entire subdvision may be condemned.

The entire ( 250 homes or so ) neighborhood did recieve 3-6 feet of water in their homes.

I've heard the remote case of areas being condemned for toxics/bio hazards etc.. but never because of flooding. I'm not saying it doesnt happen , I've just never heard of it.

BTW this is a middle class Galveston subdivision and almost all residents have decent insurance I figure.

Enlighten me please.

·
" TEXAS TILL I DIE "
26,167 Posts
my friend jus called me, got on the island today, he lives around stewart rd. near the old arlans headed to moody gardens, he doesnt know fer sure but that is the rumor in his hood and then they will have to build higher there to rebuild if they do, he said his house had 6 feet in it, mud everywhere, stink and mold, and cant touch nothing till ins. and fema both inspect. over 50 ruined percent,, tear down.

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
roundman said:
my friend jus called me, got on the island today, he lives around stewart rd. near the old arlans headed to moody gardens, he doesnt know fer sure but that is the rumor in his hood and then they will have to build higher there to rebuild if they do, he said his house had 6 feet in it, mud everywhere, stink and mold, and cant touch nothing till ins. and fema both inspect. over 50 ruined percent,, tear down.
same neighborhood or very close ( Gulf Village in my case)

·
Roll Tide!
15,791 Posts
There was a neighbrhood in Baytown (Brownwood or something like that) that was condemned about 20 years about because of repeated flooding every two or three years. However, I'd be surprised if they condemned a neighborhood over flooding during a single 100 year event.

·
OllllO
8,874 Posts
Gottagofishin said:
There was a neighbrhood in Baytown (Brownwood or something like that) that was condemned about 20 years about because of repeated flooding every two or three years. However, I'd be surprised if they condemned a neighborhood over flooding during a single 100 year event.
After Hurricane Alecia the Brownwood subdivision was condemmed, my first wife was living there at the time and the majority of the homes were flooded and or blwon away.

·
WHO DAT!!
3,242 Posts
Hooked Up © said:
Some here may remember "Brio". Yes, it can and does happen. H/U
Yeah, they condemned the neighborhood adjacent to Brio, but now there are new houses built across the street and more being biult on the other side of a flood control ditch from the condemned neighborhood.

·
No, not the purple gay kind!
1,810 Posts
I believe that there is a whole sub-division that was condemned in The Woodlands area after TS Allison (?) or some other major flooding we got in this area. The sub-division was relatively new at the time. This has been, probably 8-10 years ago. The guy’s used to go there and shoot their guns. If memory servers me correctly it was in a 100 year flood plane. New houses that had been gutted by floods and the developers abandoned the “project”

·
Super Moderator
3,739 Posts
gitchesum said:
Yeah, they condemned the neighborhood adjacent to Brio, but now there are new houses built across the street and more being biult on the other side of a flood control ditch from the condemned neighborhood.
In less than a year, there will be professional buildings, apt complex, nursing homes, etc build on that exact land. Very little contamination, confined to two streets immediately adjacent to the site...never found ANY contamination of any form in the rest of the subdivision. Fingerpointing, power of the press, environmental scare tactics, etc used to condem a perfectly good neighborhood and school. It was a travesty. Superfund...pfffttttt!

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
for what it's worth, Ch 2 just ran a report saying that "if it's more than 50% damaged from flooding, they are tearing it down". That was applicable to a house in San Leon. If that's true, then to rebuild the home, it would have to be rebuilt to the new code and elevation standards. I remember Mary's Creek in FW very well. There's two houses down there, where there used to be several dozen.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
One of my step brothers lives in a neighborhood, Seascape I believe, on the north side of Seabrook just off Toddville Rd. and he lives in the front of the subdivision closest to Toddville rd. and got approx. 4-5 ft. of water in his house, thus every house in the subdivision was flooded. Does anyone know if this area will be allowed to rebuild?

·
Registered Somewhere
5,635 Posts
I am not sure but my memory seems to recall that after Andrew in Florida, the entire area affected was required to either raise their houses or tear them down and build new raise ones. There were several new building standards established nationwide due to Andrew. As I recall there was a TV special on how they raise on house and placed it one pilings. Very interestion process.

I knew one of the last two families in the Brownwood subdivision that were forced out. I do not recall the settlement terms. Brownwood was a result of subsidence as I recall. There was no hope of restoring the land. It is a nature area now. You can still see where many homes were if you visit there.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
My FIL had a nice spread outside San Antonio that was flooded twice in one year by the Cibilo creek and the feds bought everyone out and gave them all a settlement and turned the area into a park. The first flood they got 2 to 3 feet of water in the house the second they got 12 feet of water.

·
Aggie Mom
5,386 Posts
Half of my subdivision in NW Houston is now open space due to flooding from White Oak Bayou from Francis, Allison & one other flood. The stipulation for the buy-out was that they had to have 2 floods in 5 years and proof they were carrying flood insurance each time.

·
Premium Member
15,768 Posts
I have been told that if there have been 2 federal flood claims that it is coming down on the third. There are neighborhoods all around me that are missing homes on lots for this reason.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Its really the FEMA repeditive loss program who's rules were really tightened up in 2006 after Katrina...yes it can happen

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
There's a big sign on Okies Liquor store in Clear Lake Shores this morning saying goodbye. Sad.

·
Old School 2cool
8,283 Posts
There was an article in the paper about that a few weeks back. City bought it if I remember correctly. Just found out Tookies is thinking about not reopening either. All our old hangouts seem to have gone or be going by the wayside. Balinesse Room, Oakies, Tookies. Kinda makes an old Clear Creeker sad to see all of this. Guess nothing lasts forever. Tight lines Bro, Guy
Mont said:
There's a big sign on Okies Liquor store in Clear Lake Shores this morning saying goodbye. Sad.

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
I figured Tookies to be a goner when they taped the place off and didn't take anything outside to dry. I guess you get tired of fighting it sometimes. The water is back up this morning and touching the bottom of my finger pier with the bull tides. I gotta get into a floating pier before it's all over.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts