2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my dad and i have been trying to find the best way to get concrete off my mom car's hood. any suggestions would be great.

·
Recovering Workaholic
5,922 Posts
Unless it's really, really heavy, just pick it up and move it off. Now, if it's really, really heavy, you might need some help with an extra pair of hands or maybe a small crane.

Seriously ... try a pressure washer. If the concrete has been there for any length of time the paint underneath is damaged, anyway.

·
Registered
60 Posts
How big an area are you dealing with? Is the hood dented at all from the concrete falling on it?

Concrete will adhere pretty well to most surfaces so, in order to minimize the damage to the paint, you need to try to get the concrete to release from the hood. Concrete soaks liquids up pretty well, so if you can get the concrete to soak up something like an oil, you may be able to get it to break the bond between the paint and the concrete. Try putting a light oil like WD-40 or 3-in-1 sewing machine oil or extra virgin olive oil on the concrete for a could of days to a week, and see if the concrete just pushes off.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
......if it's concrete spatter, and it's dried, your not going to get it off without paint damage......

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Man I have no solutions for getting the concrete off, however damage repairs probably oughta start with 2 dozen roses delivered on bent knees with tears in eyes followed by breakfast served in bed for a minimum of a week. Completely detailing the car and the house would probably help also.

·
Banned
26,320 Posts
I don't think this is going to have a happy ending. I always mix concrete in an old plastic bucket. My Mom would kick my arse if I mixed it on her hood :biggrin:...You & your Dad should have known better...LOL

·
COME AND TAKE IT
11,373 Posts
Use a pressure washer, get the nozzle close to the concrete. You do not want to use any method that will rub the concrete around. Need to blast it off.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I have it happen all the time, but a few months back one of my customers parked in the wrong spot at the wrong time and his truck was completely covered with concrete dots. I researched and found that muriatic acid used in swimming pools would clean it off. I tried it on several inconspicuous areas and it worked amazingly easy. I ended up cleaning off a couple of old pieces on my vehicle. It is not supposed to damage the paint and we haven't noticed any after effects as of yet. 2 years from now our paint may start peeling who knows, but they look good todady. Water is supposed to immediately neutralize this acid. Dampen a cloth with the acid and just wipe it on the effected area and the concrete will just come right off. Then thoroughly rinse with water.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
splatter it is. guess she just has to live with it.:biggrin:
Possibly wrong answer WaderDude!

If you are the one who got it on her car, she will remind you for a very long time when you least expect it.

If Dad did it, then make sure you are out of the splatter zone.

If someone else did it, then get her some roses to make her feel better. You probably did something to justify giving her roses anyway.

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
be careful w a pressure washer, you can cut thru the paint

also remember that concrete is full of sand be careful about swirling any clay bars or polish on it until the grit is off.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have it happen all the time, but a few months back one of my customers parked in the wrong spot at the wrong time and his truck was completely covered with concrete dots. I researched and found that muriatic acid used in swimming pools would clean it off. I tried it on several inconspicuous areas and it worked amazingly easy. I ended up cleaning off a couple of old pieces on my vehicle. It is not supposed to damage the paint and we haven't noticed any after effects as of yet. 2 years from now our paint may start peeling who knows, but they look good todady. Water is supposed to immediately neutralize this acid. Dampen a cloth with the acid and just wipe it on the effected area and the concrete will just come right off. Then thoroughly rinse with water.
This sounds reasonable - you can try it and if it doesn't work, you haven't los anything but the price of some muriatic acid.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts