2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reminder for the New Year.

Keep your anti-virus/malware updated regularly.
We have recieved several attacks on our personal and work pc's in the last week. The last one just occurred while clicking on a topic on 2cool home page. They were successfully averted.

If you get an unexpected notice that a free virus scanner needs to run, do not click "ok", "cancel", or "x out" until you update and launch your resident scanner. Once your scanner is running, then "x out" the attacking malware.

·
Registered
12,968 Posts

We have recieved several attacks on our personal and work pc's in the last week. The last one just occurred while clicking on a topic on 2cool home page. They were successfully averted.

If you get an unexpected notice that a free virus scanner needs to run, do not click "ok", "cancel", or "x out" until you update and launch your resident scanner. Once your scanner is running, then "x out" the attacking malware.
I had the same thing happen yesterday when I tried to open 2cool. I quickly closed it and ran a whole computer scan. No infection found just tracking cookies.

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
There's a big difference between a virus and cookies. I personally use Firefox 3.5.6 and if you use it, it will eliminate the security problems and vulnerabilities that other browsers have. Anyone running IE is just asking for trouble.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This was a conficker attack, had it happen before. When I "x"'d out, a web based scanner began running on its own, immediately showing all kinds of viruses and trojans.
The worse attack came on my laptop running Firefox.

·
Cert.Weigh Master,since 1999
15,196 Posts
Just had that happen to me. I have SuperspywareProfessional, did a custom scan. While doing the scan all these pop ups join in. Knock those out (bad description), once spyware scan complete, all 64 threats were quaranteened. So far oK.

·
Jedi Knight and Friend to Captain Solo
17,027 Posts
There's a big difference between a virus and cookies. I personally use Firefox 3.5.6 and if you use it, it will eliminate the security problems and vulnerabilities that other browsers have. Anyone running IE is just asking for trouble.
I am no longer asking for trouble. :D

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Had the same thing happen yesterday eve here clicking on a 2cool topic. Shut down and ran scans and it took out 3 viruses & 2 trojans. Then every thing OK

·
Registered Somewhere
5,635 Posts

Had the same thing happen yesterday eve here clicking on a 2cool topic. Shut down and ran scans and it took out 3 viruses & 2 trojans. Then every thing OK
I am a curious.

Are either of you using your computer on home or work network?

Do you use any type of storage device to transfer data? Be it CD, DVD or any type of USB drive?

Do you update your Oprerating system on a regular basis?

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Home network. Running full version Malwarebytes Anti-malware.
Laptop was on an air card.
Have not used a storage device on either for over a week.
OS updated on start up.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Yes I update regularly. No I'm don't use at work or network. Don't know what happened, but norton popped up and said there was a problem and I shut down, ran scan & it was fixed.

·
Premium Member
40,476 Posts
just a guess, but if your infected and not turning off system restore...each scan only delays it until later

if your using Nortons and it finds a problem chances are you have more problems it don't even know about

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
just a guess, but if your infected and not turning off system restore...each scan only delays it until later

if your using Nortons and it finds a problem chances are you have more problems it don't even know about
And Nortons is your biggest problem.:D

·
Manvel Mob
829 Posts
Ya'll beat me to it. Norton is definitely your biggest problem. Norton has to find something wrong or it can't justify charging so much. I've used AVG for the last 2 years and have never had any problems at all it just runs quietly in the background and doesn't pop up with flashing lights and sirens when it blocks something to make you feel like you spent your money wisely and best of all it's free

·
Screw it. Lets ride!
3,259 Posts
Ya'll beat me to it. Norton is definitely your biggest problem. Norton has to find something wrong or it can't justify charging so much. I've used AVG for the last 2 years and have never had any problems at all it just runs quietly in the background and doesn't pop up with flashing lights and sirens when it blocks something to make you feel like you spent your money wisely and best of all it's free
Have you ever tried to uninstall AVG? I tried it on a new install, and it wouldnt let me uninstall it. Had to wipe the drive, and start over. There was alot of that going on when I Googled the problem.

·
Manvel Mob
829 Posts
Never needed or wanted to uninstall it. Too me forever to get rid of all the norton **** though. If you use ccleaner it will get rid of just about anything.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I had a pop-up come on and tell me I had ti install "Security Tool" because I had several virus threats and trojans. Being a dumb*** I installed it thinking it was a microsoft program. It completely took over my computer. I found out that it is bogus company that actually send spyware, trojans , and malware to your computer. I finally managed to get AVG installed and got everything cleaned up. The "Security Tool" removed some programs from my computer that I cannot reinstall. I will have to buy a newer version of Windows XP and install it to get my computer back to normal.
Pat

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
One word, AVAST....and it's free.

Been using it for 2 years thanks to advice from some within this forum. It's stopped every attack my computer's had. 5 stars!

S.M.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts