2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My home computer has crashed, Can anyone recommend a repairman around the Santa Fe area? Thanks!
David

·
Custom User Title space for rent
5,212 Posts
Good luck. Getting harder to fing a good puter guy because it is often cheaper to buy a new one instead of repairing if the puter is out of warranty.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
What do you mean by crashed? Will not power up or do you get a specific message?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Don't know anyone in the Santa Fe area but have used Jimmy at MicroCache in Friendswood 281-648-3333 over the years. He has always been fair on the cost and I've never had a warranty issue with any of the work he has done for me. He will give a free estimate before starting any work if you like.

Jay
Pearland, Tx

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
yes what do you mean by crash. Not working or did you get a virus. If its a mechanical failure and its more than 2 years old, probably better to get new unit. If it won't boot up because you got a virus, probably be easier to just format it and reinstall the computer to original factory specks.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It will come on and go to the desktop, but then it won't go any farther. I'm assuming it's a virus but i'm not to up to date on that. I had a friend that cleaned it up and sent it back to me and it worked for about 6 months but, i don't want to ask him everytime it goes down.

·
Premium Member
40,476 Posts
It will come on and go to the desktop, but then it won't go any farther. I'm assuming it's a virus but i'm not to up to date on that. I had a friend that cleaned it up and sent it back to me and it worked for about 6 months but, i don't want to ask him everytime it goes down.
sounds like a virus

·
Twitch..Twitch--->Boom
5,311 Posts
Don't know anyone in the Santa Fe area but have used Jimmy at MicroCache in Friendswood 281-648-3333 over the years. He has always been fair on the cost and I've never had a warranty issue with any of the work he has done for me. He will give a free estimate before starting any work if you like.

Jay
Pearland, Tx
For sure worth it. He is a good guy and very resonable on prices. I live across the street from him and take all the computers there when needed.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
There is a guy by my house that does good work. Go down Hwy6 towards the new high school. When you get to the stop light at Tower Rd., look to your left and his house is on the corner of Hwy 6 and Tower. The house looks shabby but the guy knows what he is doing and he pretty cheap.

He has a big sign out in his yard about doing computer repairs.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
I bet if you pay him well, he wouldn't mind fixing it for you again??

·
Registered
690 Posts
What Operating System (Windows 2000/XP/Vista etc.) are you running. Maybe with the think we have here we could at least help you get it started in Safe Mode to run a Virus Scan.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Call Friendly Computer. I 45 and Nasa Rd1 in the Garden ridge center.
Ask for Brandon. Tell him his Dad sent you. He does all my computer work!

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
The new ones, real firebreathers, are down to 400 bucks.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
if its a virus, try to see if you have some the original start up disc to reload everything from scratch. I find that if you have a real nasty virus, its easier to just reformat the drive and start from the beginning. If not ask around and see if anyone has a copy of the operating system and reinstall it. You can find this on the internet if you look hard enough. I have a backup ghost image of my drive for this specific purpose.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone for the responses!!! I have lots of options now! I'm just not computer literate enough to do all these things, guess i need to learn LOL
David

·
Still trying to figure it all out
10,501 Posts
TheSamarai is exactly right. Reformatting and reinstalling guarantees that all virus/spyware problems are gone. As a plus, the computer will run as fast as the day you bought it.

Ditto's on the buying a new one if the old one is outdated.

·
Professional Salesman
9,758 Posts
Thanks everyone for the responses!!! I have lots of options now! I'm just not computer literate enough to do all these things, guess i need to learn LOL
David
Try what I PMed you (find a restore point and restore it). It is not difficult, even I can do it. If it doesn't work, nothing gained, nothing lost.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts