2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My home computer is on the blink and I'm as lost as a goose in the fog when it comes to systems and hardward.

My computer will not start up -- it tries to look at the CD drive and the diskette drive but is not reading the :C/ drive to start up.

I only get an error message on the screen "Non system disk or disk error replace and strike any key when ready".

I've tried shutting off the power and restarting - same problem and I have tried a warm boot (Cntl- alt- del) - and it comes to the same point.

Can any of you computer experts/professionals help?

Thanks. Call me on cell 713-824-6395 if you can help.

Ray

·
Somewhere Between Insanity and Texas
8,388 Posts
I would first verify that there are no disks in the floppy or CD drives. If there are, take them out and try again. If not, open the machine and verify that the power and data cables are firmly seated onto the hard drive. You may remove them and plug them back in just for good measure. Let us know what the results are from trying these steps.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jeff - no disks - I'm sure of that. I'm a little shy about opening this thing up.

If I get up the nerve I'll open it up - but that's something I'm pretty worried about.

Does this sound like a hard disk crash?

·
Premium Member
39,915 Posts
What operating system are you using? (win2000, winxp ect)
What type brand of computer? Some like HP and Dell have a recovery partition.

Shadman is correct, this is usually from a floppy or cd in the drive and BIOS is set to look at them first...watch the boot screen and make sure you see:
Primary Master WD XXX XXX
Primary Slave None
Secondary Master CDROM
Secondary Slave NONE
If it's not seeing the Primary Master at all, go into the BIOS and see what you can find. If it is seeing the HD then you can try using some type of boot floppy or CD.

If you see NTLDR is missing, then follow the steps here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812492

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Bill --- other have said you were an expert and several folks have recommended looking at the drives.

I have no disks in the drives and I can not look at the BIOS because nothing comes up on my screen - there is no startup.

The HD is making a dragging sound now - not a normal RPM hum.

Also - it is a Compaq Presario running (or was) Windows XP home edition.

I need to have someone look at this thing to tell me if the HD is dead or not - more and more, I think it is because I am not seeing anything that shows me there is any activity there.

Thanks,

Ray

·
Premium Member
39,915 Posts
Sounds worse..so all you get when you first turn on the computer is a black screen? It don't count down the ram or see drives? Try to boot into safe (F8 key), or into the bios by using the F1 or F2 or F10 keys. Phoenix also has CTRL+ALT+ESC or CTRL+ALT+S or CTRL+ALT+INS set of keys to get into the bios. Even if the hard drive failed, you should be able to get into the bios, so that makes me wonder. As far as sounds go, usually hard drives make a ticking sound, like an old record skipping. A hum could be a fan going out. I'm just guessing now, that would be a system I would need to get my hands on to be sure of the problem(s). Depending on how old the computer is, it might be cheaper to get a new system than spend a bunch of money to get it repaired.

·
Registered Somewhere
5,569 Posts
Hey SunRay,

What model Presario is that. Maybe we can find out how to get into the BIOS. Or maybe you can call Compaq to see if they have a record of what hard drive they installed. May be able to run a test on it via floppy if known.

Could be your floppy drive onboard control is malfunctioning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.