2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to the Outdoor Photography seminar tomorrow and Sunday and I'm really looking forward to it. Too bad none of you other Houstonites signed up. I was a little surprised but maybe you all know something I don't and it won't actually be that good. I'll be sure to let you know. My wife is leaving tomorrow morning to visit her parents in North Carolina. I bought her some more flowers and took a few shots tonight because I am going through withdrawals.

·
Registered Somewhere
5,635 Posts
I thought you were voted to go the the seminar and then come back and share all that you learned. That is what's his name told everyone. :rotfl:

·
A Wild Kiwi fern
3,772 Posts
James, do you think you two would mind me coming and living at your house? i'm getting very partial to having flowers around all week. ;)

these are beautiful... that orange is simply stunning. (when i was a marching girl, our uniform was orange skirt, black top and orange buzby, the colours work very well together).

i love all three of these... particularly the quirky and unexpected aspect of #3. there is something special about having one flower in focus at the front and one behind like this. i love it.

rosesm

·
Charter Member
5,937 Posts
I didn't know anything about the seminar...besides, I'm working this weekend.
Mike

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Those are really nice. Gotta find the funds for the 105 and R1C1. Those were shot with your macro system I assume. Lighting is superb.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This seminar... http://www.opseminar.com/nikon/
I asked everyone about it when my wife bought it for me on Father's Day but nobody voiced any interest. The program today was excellent. It was with Bob Krist and it covered mostly the subject of location or travel photography. How he approaches it, what he's thinking, planning, and how he goes about accomplishing his objective. He talked about equipment and how he uses it differently depending on the situation. By the way, his camera of choice, his workhorse, is the Nikon D200. He has a D70 that he uses almost as much and he has the D2X that he says he rarely uses on location shoots just because of the size and weight of it. The lenses he uses the most are the 12-24mm f/4, 17-55mm f/2.8, and the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR. He owns a ton of lenses he said but these three get the majority of his work. His work is truly amazing by the way and I came away both completely humbled but also inspired and full of ideas. So it should come as no surprise to tell you I am just about to order a D200 and the 12-24mm f/4 lens:)
He also went over some of his basic workflow when he is on the road and what he does with his images. He shoots everything RAW naturally and he is very paranoid apparently so he keeps at least 3 backups of everything. I suppose someone in his position and with his responsibility to his employer or publisher, has to really take those extra precautions. He did not get into any of his major editing and Photoshop stuff. The speaker tomorrow, Bruce Dale, will be hitting that pretty hard I am told. Today was just a great experience for me and it reinforced my reasons for doing photography and that reason is totally just for the love of it, nothing else. A lot of people were there with hopes of being professionals I think and they were asking a lot of questions along those lines but I think his answers may have turned a few of them back a bit. He spoke of how, with the digital revolution and the internet, the "profession" has changed and how hard it is to make it today. In fact he only went from film to 100% digital 4 years ago and he said that nobody today would ever have his type of career again, even himself.
They had raffle drawings in the morning and again in the afternoon and they gave away some pretty good prizes (I did not win darn it but maybe tomorrow) like a Manfrotto Tripod, Lowepro backpack, Nikon Coolpix P&S, and a really nice Epson Photo Printer. It was just a good day overall. Tomorrow looks to be the same. There were about 120 or so people there. It's the best $99 I ever spent.
Yes...the flower pictures were taken with the 105mm and R1C1. Thanks for the compliments. James

1 - 9 of 9 Posts