2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Got better things to do than play games
17,015 Posts
My 1st impression when I saw it was 'what a mess'. I'm fairly computer savvy & very familiar with Xenfero so I know what it can & can't do as far as the appearance of user interface.

Having said that, the new layout IS way too busy & contains a lot of unneeded/unwanted content. Fortunately there is an add-on called uBlock which allows a person to permanently block anything (both ads & content) that is unwanted.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
I'm not one to normally complain about free message boards but yeah this is format is garbage. Even logging in is obnoxious.

·
Got better things to do than play games
17,015 Posts
As I said in another thread earlier, my 1st impression when I saw it was 'what a mess'. I'm fairly computer savvy & very familiar with Xenfero so I know what it can & can't do as far as the appearance of user interface.

Having said that, the new layout IS way too busy & contains a lot of unneeded/unwanted content. Fortunately there is an add-on called uBlock which allows a person to permanently block anything (both ads & content) that is unwanted.

·
Salty Dawg
7,695 Posts
I'm not a fan at all. Hopefully it will grow on me.

·
Aspiring professional pot-stirrer.
20,198 Posts
exactly this. What you guys may not realize is that the forum software 2cool uses is likely the same as 360tuna and Pensacolafishingforum. Both of those sites were forced to move to the new format. Technology changes...you can change with it or just not be on a computer/tablet/cell phone.
I'm on other forums that use similar-looking formats, (not the two you mentioned, but I'm sure they're just applying it to all of the hundreds of forums they bought up a few years back, so it's going to be pretty ubiquitous in a lot of areas). That being said, the forums I DO use that have a similar look actually work. I know that if I was to stay around I'd get used to it and it may be easier to navigate, but for now, this is almost unusable. (and may be reflected in whether I'm actually here or not).. This CAN be done in a usable manner, but this one seems to have as its primary focus advertising and cross-posting "Recommended reading", etc.: on a PC it's better, but when I was on an Ipad last night I repeatedly "accidentally" went to advertiser sites that I had no interest in going to just by virtue of poor placement on the page. It's just not user-friendly at all, and is a long way from "progress": I can generally "pick up" the flow of major updates to software pretty quickly, and in most cases I start to see the improvements in a matter of a few minutes. This one, however, has eluded any such assessment as of yet. This is really no better than back when the surprise pop-up was the advertising medium du jour: and just about as annoying. It's ****. No two ways about it. Clean up the fluff and it may be an acceptable format, but for now this is quite simply ****.

·
20,198 Posts
Pretty common software, they changed my favorite Polaris forum to this format long ago. PRC Polaris Ranger Club
If you'll look, you'll find common ownership. Vertical Scope owns both forums, along with probably a few hundred others. They're changing the software on about all of them, I'm sure this will be the second forum that I've quit visiting because of it. VS has been pretty much the death of quite a few forums in the last few years.

·
Administrator
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
In my humble opinion, a successful forum community has never been about the platform. It is about the amazing members who come together to share a common interest and along the way true friendships are developed.

I have been helping sites transition to the new forum software since May of 2019. Although change is never easy, in that time I have noticed that during the first 30 days or so, traffic tends to slow down a bit while folks adjust to the new navigation and features. Somewhere between 60 - 90 days the activity increases and the community begins to grow.

We will be seeing regular updates that are largely fueled by community feedback. While that doesn't mean we can action every request, it does mean we are actively listening to the feedback and sharing it with the developers. Give it some time. We will get there.:)

- Cricket

·
Registered
924 Posts
Looks like people can now reply to classified ads. Not sure if that was intentional or just a byproduct of the switch.

·
Administrator
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
I moved several posts over to this thread.

Can I ask a huge favor of y'all? :)

Can we keep all feedback, questions, concerns, requests for help, etc. regarding the new platform here in our Community Feedback thread rather than starting new threads?

The reason this is important is that we will be seeing regular updates which are largely fueled by community feedback. While that doesn't mean we can action every request, it does mean we are actively listening to the feedback and sharing it with the developers. By keeping all of the information in one thread, we can help make sure that we don't miss anything.

- Cricket

·
20,198 Posts
In my humble opinion, a successful forum community has never been about the platform. It is about the amazing members who come together to share a common interest and along the way true friendships are developed.

I have been helping sites transition to the new forum software since May of 2019. Although change is never easy, in that time I have noticed that during the first 30 days or so, traffic tends to slow down a bit while folks adjust to the new navigation and features. Somewhere between 60 - 90 days the activity increases and the community begins to grow.

We will be seeing regular updates that are largely fueled by community feedback. While that doesn't mean we can action every request, it does mean we are actively listening to the feedback and sharing it with the developers. Give it some time. We will get there.:)

- Cricket
It may "begin to grow", but in the meantime you're alienating old members, the "traffic slowing down" is people leaving.. I've already quit going to two other VS forums in the last six months or so: this may very well be the third. It's quite apparent that this is NOT about "Members sharing a common interest": EVERYTHING about this change is nothing but advertising and, for lack of a better term, clickbait. The common theme here is "unwanted content": it's content to satisfy your ad sales and your "number of views" numbers that feed that. There is ZERO "improvement of user experience" involved here. We're now the product instead of the customer, plain and simple. Nobody here would begrudge VS a reasonable amount of advertising revenue, sponsorship revenue, whatever it takes to make the company keep going. This is abso-freaking-lutely ridiculous, though. The only way to make this an "improved user experience" is to just flat-out block 50% or more of the pages, then sit back and see if you can figure out the labyrinthine navigation..

·
Administrator
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Wow, I had to re register
That was weird...
All my info has disappeared. Number of posts, year I joined. I was one of the original members of 2Cool. What the heck?
It sounds like you had more than one account, in which case the software would have kept your oldest account.

I am going to send you a private message (conversation) asking you a few questions so that I can help recover your account.

- Cricket

61 - 80 of 108 Posts