2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and bud's found a new lease this year outside of Columbus near the Colorado river. I have seen a couple of post saying the rut in some areas happens in October. Since this is a new area for us I was just wondering if anyone has hunted near here with any advice? We have jumped a couple of nice bucks already on the property! Can't wait......

·
100% BS
7,120 Posts
Be patient, there are some good bucks in that area, you probably already figured out you will need a good 4-wheeler, because it can get really nasty when it rains, and you will probably have plenty of pigs to take home.

·
15,099 Posts
I hunted that area last year and the year before and the rut is starting now . I saw bucks chasing does in mid Oct . I rattled in a pretty good buck on opening weekend, even though the buck /doe ratio is out of wack.
It just depends on the bucks fraim of mind that day.

R.R...

·
Registered
200 Posts
Columbus

I live and hunt in Colorado County. Opening weekend we saw small bucks chasing does. Sunday eve I shot and missed a 10 point that was paired with a doe and watched a 5 point chase a doe. Last year the third weekend in Oct was the full rut, I arrowed a 12 pointer but never found him. i believe after this cold front just might bring them out. Are you North or South of town? I hunt just south of town..

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SWA, there is a very scientific way for me to show you when the rut is occuring or not. I would have to get the animal within 10 minutes of it being harvested and I can only do this "work" on Nov 6&7, 13&14, or 20&21. It would probably be better if you let the scientist (me) take the animal, too (for statistical purposes). The best news is that I am just now getting into rut consulting, so there will be no fee for my services, this year only.

·
We all have it coming......
8,792 Posts
My brother saw rutting activity yesterday afternoon at our ranch. This weekend is gonna be fun...rattle, rattle.:D

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for the 411. This cold front this morning has my blood pumping. I may have to suddenly get sick at work today and head West!!!!

Good Huntin
SWA28

1 - 8 of 8 Posts