2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Member of da MYC!!
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is amazing what the 13" rule has done for our county I have been hunting in other places the past 4 years and have not shot a deer at our family land in Columbus......Well I had to get off of my other lease last year and I started hunting this place again. I got this little guy off my game cam today and realize although he is the best deer we have ever seen he is not a shooter due to the 13" Rule. Do you think this guy will ever get wider or will he just get heavier??? I think he is 3.5-4.5 years.....I counted 14 points!

First pic I saw and almost had a heart attack!!!!

Second pic I saw

Then the reality check hit me!!!

·
Native Texan
10,977 Posts
Great deer. Cryin shame that he is so narrow. He might make 13" one day. Wow, would certainly put you to the test if he shows up and stands around a while.

·
Member of da MYC!!
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.....I believe after looking at this deer he is probably 3.5 but it is pretty hard to tell in our area because of body size......He will definately breed plenty more does lets just hope some are wider than he is!!!!

·
TxDuSlayer
4,770 Posts
Thats the only bad thing about AR's! I have one buck last year that was 4.5yrs old his main beams were almost touching, mean you couldn't have dropped a sheet of paper in between them! Almost all of the tines were growing into each other! But b/c of AR's he will be safe!

·
Registered
199 Posts
He looks like a young deer. Don't forget about the drought this deer just went through, it was slim pickens when he was developing that rack this year!!

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Great looking buck just wait till next year he should be there try some protein, and my be we will get more rain this summer.

·
Member of da MYC!!
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He's a CULL>>>>>>not wide enough ,better take him out of the gene pool...a management decision!!!
In Colorado County we have antler restrictions of 13".....By looking at the pic I bet he is close to 10 or 11 max.....I wont shoot but I cant guarantee the neighbors wont if he goes to their side. I am just wondering what he will look like next year!

·
Tiny is Gone... Hi, My Name is ROGER
5,886 Posts
Shoot him in the middle of the head while he is facing you... he'll make the 13" then.. LOL.. Good deer... hope you can get him next year.. assuming he meets the requirements...

·
Registered
416 Posts
I also hunt Colorado county ouside of Sheridan. I just passed on a nice buck that was about like that buck not as many points but a nice high rack. Just not wide enough.
We are wondering if the drought killed off a lot of deer or they just moved or what?
I grew up on the property I hunt and there were too many deer on it before but now the number of does is slimmed way down I bought a crossbow to knock out some does during archery season but I really did not see any old does that needed killing.
In past years there were heards of does and very few bucks. That does not seem to be the case anymore? Neither food nor time will make deer like this any wider it take genetics.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts