2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it is getting hot but this is the perfect time for me to get me some cold weather gear. I fished last year late and one night it got down to 26 degrees. I have some wool bibs and jacket, they work well but only if I am not out in some rainy weather. I would like either a parka/bib combo or a full coverall w/hood that is insulated and waterproof. I have wool underwear, heavy waterproof boots, warm waterproof gloves, etc., I just need some ideas on what outer garments are good out that you might be using. Thanks...

·
Registered
728 Posts
For me, there is a lot of consideration toward the kind of boat or fishing that I will be on or doing when it's cold, when I make a decision about what I'm going to wear.... If I'm fishing in "the big boat" with curtains and I don't expect to be directly in the weather all day, I layer my clothes and wear something on the outside to stop the wind. If I were to fish on the bank or in an open boat, then I'd probably wear the one-piece snowmobile suit I bought last winter... I am seriously looking for a good deal on a "Mustang" survival suite for when we fish in the ocean during January and February.... one slip on the deck and it's man overboard in frigid water... I don't expect a man would have a long time to live in 39-40 degree water.... especially if the captain of the boat didn't see you get bounced into the water, and didn't notice you missing for thirty or forty seconds, it could get dicey out there....
Wool socks on my feet, covered by my "Muck Boots" and wool gloves and a wool had round out the extremity coverings... I'm glad you brought this up because I had forgotten to look for a survival suit for the past few weeks...
Tom

·
Registered
300 Posts
Everyone Is Different ,but I Perfer Guide Gear.you Can Get It From Cablea's,it's Not Cheap,but You Get What You Pay For. I've Tested It To The Max. And It Works. Warm,rainproof, And Windproof. I Fish All Winter And I Trust It,i Had 2 ,17 Degree Mornings 2 Years Ago And I Made It. When It's That Cold Though Staying Warm Is One Thing ,keeping Your Reels Thawled Out Is Another.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Price

The one that you don't want to do is buy the cheapest garments that you find. This is definitely one area not to scrimp. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I like the Walls BlizzardProof coveralls for my outer layer. If the wind picks up or there is a chance of rain I will pack my Cabela's Gore-Tex in my backpack, It's not the new expensive stuff but the stuff they were putting out 3 years ago. I wear the same clothes fishing when it is below 35-40 that I do when I go deer hunting late in the season as the gear does both jobs quite well.

·
Old Fool
38 Posts
When it gets cold enough, like under 70 degrees, I quit fishing till it warms up. I am not kidding by much. If the fish are really biting, I may go out till it gets down to lower 60's, then I'm outa there.

I know, I know, but I can't help it, I get COLD really easily and no longer have fun when all I can do is stand there, shivering.

Now, as you all know, us catmen are not exactly hittin on all cylinders, so to prove it, I admit I deer hunt in fridgid weather. Have fun with that even down to well below zero. All my clothes I wear deer hunting were bought from Cabela's. Like Mud_cat said, I do not cut costs when outfitting. I easily have about $2000 worth of outerwear alone. Depending on the weather, I have quite a range of options. Almost all of it is waterproof, Thinsulate, breathable, and windproof. Like Mudhole Kid, I have much Guide Gear, all that is, is Cabela's house version of a big name brand, without the added cost.

It could get funny if I were to wear all that stuff when running down the river to go fishing. It's all camo, so folks would just see the boat go by and nobody on board. I'd be invisable to them. LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts