2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys... how the heck do you guys keep your feet warm when sitting in your blind waiting for that big buck to come out???
Last weekend in 25-30 degree weather, my feet felt like they were frozen. I was perfectly fine other than my feet... this is not the first time it's been like this, and I really don't want it to happen again.
I wore 1 pair of regular cotton socks under a thick pair of wool socks, and my boots (not insulated).
I need some recommendations!

·
Registered
897 Posts
Ok guys... how the heck do you guys keep your feet warm when sitting in your blind waiting for that big buck to come out???
Last weekend in 25-30 degree weather, my feet felt like they were frozen. I was perfectly fine other than my feet... this is not the first time it's been like this, and I really don't want it to happen again.
I wore 1 pair of regular cotton socks under a thick pair of wool socks, and my boots (not insulated).
I need some recommendations!
I keep a pair of house shoes in my blind and keep my feet in front of the heater!:cheers:

·
Bird Flu Eradication Team
2,299 Posts
sock liners with wool socks, and make sure your boots arent tight. if your boots are tight, it doesnt matter what you have on, your feet will get cold. you will love the sock liners.

·
Theoretical Ecologist
2,411 Posts
First, a pair of larger than normal insulated boots with thick insulated socks. You might try those "Toe Warmers" which are like tiny hand warmers, with an adhesive back, although I've never used them.

Second, a thick stocking cap because when the brain gets cold, it protects itself by diverting blood from the extremities with the feet suffering first followed by the hands.

Dress in layers in order to keep the rest of your body toasty, but take off some of it while walking in if needed so you don't get sweaty. It you get overheated and sweaty, you will pay for it when you start cooling down.

·
Theoretical Ecologist
2,411 Posts
Speaking of dressing layers, in this photo, my son and I have taken off quite a few after picking up these geese after the hunt which we ended at 9:00 AM.

At 12 miles behind us is the Mýrdalsjökull glacier which is the 4th largest in Iceland covering 230 square miles and is over a half mile thick.

Before daylight the wind was blowing at 20 mph+ right off the glacier and down the back of our necks...

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
If you have a long walk to the stand, bring an extra pair of socks... Take off sweaty socks, make sure feet dry, then put on new socks... Or wear thin socks when walking, then add thicker pair after 20 minutes in stand......

T-BONE

·
Registered
395 Posts
Get rid of the cotton socks. It holds moisture and does not insulate well once wet. Get some socks that wick moisture away from your feet and don't wear boots that are too snug.

If you are doing any walking carry an extra pair of socks to change out once your feet do become wet and cool.

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
First thing get rid of the rubber boots unless your hunting in deep mud or water. 2nd thing get oversize boots most folks after all the socks their feet are too tight in the boots so blood doesent circulate well.3rd start with just a pair of plain ole nylon socks, thin, and then some other heavier sock but again always plenty of room.
Good insulated boots are a must in cold weather

Charlie

·
290 Posts
Get rid of the cotton socks. It holds moisture and does not insulate well once wet. Get some socks that wick moisture away from your feet and don't wear boots that are too snug.

If you are doing any walking carry an extra pair of socks to change out once your feet do become wet and cool.
X2. Cotton socks are not the way to go when you have cold temps.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
sock liners with wool socks, and make sure your boots arent tight. if your boots are tight, it doesnt matter what you have on, your feet will get cold. you will love the sock liners.
X2. I bougt the outfitter liner socks plus a pair of wool socks from Cabella's. My feet used to get cold all the time...haven't had a problem since.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts