2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In less than 2 years I am planning on retiring and want to move to the coast. We have a friend with a house in Cape Carancahua and a house in Sweeney. He is telling me that his homeowners insurance is much higher in Sweeney than it is at the Cape. Says he doesn't have to have windstorm in the Cape, but does in Sweeney.

This is hard for me to understand. He says it is because so little of Jackson county (Cape Carancahua) is considered coastal while Brazoria county is. If someone lives in either of these counties can you please enlighten me. We like the Cape, but also like the San Bernard River area in Brazoria county.

What could I expect to spend on homeowners insurance on a home that is about $150,000. Any input is appreciated.

·
cat lover
5,431 Posts
Hoa, flood and wind are all rated by county and risk zone. I cant say for your area but for about 200k in coverage with 1% to 2% deducts on all my place on the bay in rockport is about $2700 for all three including contents and i expect a fair bump when i renew in august. To compare i have my home in san antonio value aprox $500k and its $2200.00 total including contents.

Mc

·
Registered
695 Posts
Alot depends on the specific location and property. And it is hard to understand. Texas Department of insurance (TDI) regulates the Windstorm insurance, but just because you are not in a mandated area does not mean that your regular homeowners will not be high do to the risk.

Flood is all based on the flood maps, which divide up areas and then elevations. And it is Federal so it makes almost no sense.

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shaggy...what are the zipcodes of both properties?
I think the zip for the Cape is 77465. I am not sure about the San Bernard river area, but Brazoria, TX is 77422.

We will be on a fixed income and I am trying to get a handle on all of our expenses. If there is a couple of thousand difference in insurance it is going to make a difference. Thanks for the help.

·
Tabula Rasa
11,845 Posts
I think the zip for the Cape is 77465. I am not sure about the San Bernard river area, but Brazoria, TX is 77422.

We will be on a fixed income and I am trying to get a handle on all of our expenses. If there is a couple of thousand difference in insurance it is going to make a difference. Thanks for the help.
Regarding Allstate: Jackson county is in coastal zone 2 (insurance jargon) We can't write in that zone. There are a few companies that write in coastal zone 2 and wind/hail is part of the homeowner policy. (I've had to refer some clients to independent agencies and even some of them didn't have any companies that write there. I would imagine those that are are charging quite a bit because of not being able to exclude wind and hail. Brazoria is coastal zone 1. We can write there but wind and hail is excluded. Wind and hail would have to go through TWIA

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies and help. If there is anyone that lives in Brazoria or Jackson count that could lead me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts