2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a portion of an article from yesterday's (11/20/2009) Galveston Daily News. I was suprised to find it posted on another fishing website other than 2cool! I believe the real question is not when will the bulldozers arrive on site but rather, who and how many will show-up to stop them. The last sentence in the article states Patterson plans to hold a public forum. That's so when the larger globs hit the fan blades he can just say "hey, we held a forum and no one showed-up-must not be interested."

Where will all the East Bay supporters be on the day of this public forum? Where will the Friends of Anahuac WLR, CCA, Capt. Mickey, the Officials of Gilcrest, High Island and Bolivar be on that day? And will anyone from the news media show if YOU don't?

"Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson supports the pass being closed in part because the state spends about $1 million a year dredging it. He also argues that the pass leads to greater beach erosion along the peninsula that contributed to severe flooding problems and may have made the storm surge damage from Ike worse, especially in the Crystal Beach area.

The land office is pressing ahead with filling the pass because the money has to be spent before the start of the next legislative session in 2011.

Newby said the land office plans to hold a public hearing on the closure plans either in February or March."

·
Registered
21 Posts
i read that also. the article also says they will build a pier into the gulf to offset the lost fishery. i was wondering without the pass why would a fish be there. without a pass to attract the fish they will move elsewhere thus a pier would be pretty much useless.

·
Mirrolure Pro Staff
3,607 Posts
i read that also. the article also says they will build a pier into the gulf to offset the lost fishery. i was wondering without the pass why would a fish be there. without a pass to attract the fish they will move elsewhere thus a pier would be pretty much useless.
Thats exactly what the fish will do.Pier wont be no good if theres no fish.Cant believe cca didnt step in when all this started.Should get petitions started.

·
Smokin' a GULP!
911 Posts
Jetty System?

I have yet to hear anyone bring up the idea of a jetty system for the pass, wouldn't that keep beach erosion from occurring while making a good fishing spot EVEN BETTER?

·
Just call me Breeze
17,287 Posts
I agree with the Jetty system. Everyone call the local state representative and tell them so. Some think this is a done deal but it can still be reversed if enough citizens complain. Please call, e-mail or write the state and Corp. of Eng. We can do this. One day in the not so near future, this pass will be needed for gulf access because of the increased population.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
The other thread on this topic is locked. I'm glad this one is still open. Of course the closing of Rollover would be a major malfunction as is the closing of any of our gulf passes and everyone is mad as hell about it. Truth is, the only organization that has the strength politically and financially to actually stop this abomination is the CCA. Plenty of wealthy and powerful men running that organization. So, once again, Chairman,Board of Directors,President-where are you? Come on! Make Old Salty take back every negative thing I have said about you. Give me a reason quit bashing you. Still pluggin'-Old Salty

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just close the Rollover Pass and take another fishing spot away from all those people they are handicapped and were glad to have still one of the anyway rare fishing spots they were good and had a good access even for those fishermen they were not so good on their feet.
I bet Seawolf Park already is thinking about what to do with all the additional money that will come in once the Rollover Pass will be closed. A higher demand / traffic will probably lead to even higher parking and entry fees too.
Since Hurricane Ike there are hardly no piers left anymore. Besides of that more and more land is commercialized or private property so the normal dude can not access it to do some relaxing fishing.
But yes, by closing the Rollover Pass, not rebuilding any fishing piers or not offering any other good alternates at least the Boat Industry will benefit because more and more people will have to buy a boat in accordance to be able to do some fishing at all. Just sad for those people they can not afford a boat or can not afford to hire guides for guided fishing trips.
Just my 2 cents.

·
A huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day
728 Posts
What a Mess Now

Gilcrest has hosted this pass since 1955 and revenue not the countless fisherman that have lines up both sides to enjoy the flounder and bull croaker runs for many years. John Paul Woodley has been located and will be looking into this issue in the near future. Some of you don't understand that people that look forward to this as seawolf in November is not an option at all. People actually take a weeks vacation to be there as well as the Texas City Dike instead of taking a 14K buck hand fed from south Texas. Not everybody is wealthy and should deserve to be able to enjoy our short lives. Can't say how many CCA mags with Rollover on the cover. Where are they???

Nobody has any great reason to just shut it down or should want it so. There will be fireworks and with support coming soon it will stay open. If You see Jimmy West with a shovel near the pass' push him in the very inlet that is his bread and butter to East Bay fishery. He's not right at the moment and needs a swim.

·
Registered
17,210 Posts
Just close the Rollover Pass and take another fishing spot away from all those people they are handicapped and were glad to have still one of the anyway rare fishing spots they were good and had a good access even for those fishermen they were not so good on their feet.
I bet Seawolf Park already is thinking about what to do with all the additional money that will come in once the Rollover Pass will be closed. A higher demand / traffic will probably lead to even higher parking and entry fees too.
Since Hurricane Ike there are hardly no piers left anymore. Besides of that more and more land is commercialized or private property so the normal dude can not access it to do some relaxing fishing.
But yes, by closing the Rollover Pass, not rebuilding any fishing piers or not offering any other good alternates at least the Boat Industry will benefit because more and more people will have to buy a boat in accordance to be able to do some fishing at all. Just sad for those people they can not afford a boat or can not afford to hire guides for guided fishing trips.
Just my 2 cents.
They will be building a pier out into the gulf. Not sure about one into the bay.:smile:

·
728 Posts
Temp Pier?

Yeah, that would be great as the opening of the pass. Issues of dredging the ICW seems to be an issue to a million every two years maybe. OK detour the flow with a Jetti to slow the ripping tides would be acceptable, but keeping it open as well. CCA / TP&W needs to get involved. Who has to gain from a small Bolivar peninsula going dead because of a closure sure to stagnate Easy Bay. IKE just about killed it alone, why shoot it again in the head this time. It saved East and Trinity Bay.

Somebody posted some pics from 1956 of rollover. I only wish they would do it again. My own father was in the pics and I was born that year. Kinda special for 1000's of people that did and still want it there for thier children. A pier is temporary on the gulf, a pass of saltwater is forever. If beachfront is eroding, build a **** Jetti. It's simple. God invented Detours.

http://www.rolloverpasstexas.com/

Attachments

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Mr. Old Salty (aka you-know-who), please answer my question posted earlier. Why only call out CCA? There are other orgs out there so why single them out. rfa is supposedly as big as them so can't they help?

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
pocboy,first of all what do you mean by aka you know who? Secondly, who is rfa? I have never even heard of them. Thirdly, as you can plainly see, I am not the only one on this board who is calling out CCA and TPWD. Obviusly, my posts have struck a nerve with you and that's a good thing! If you are feeling uncomfortable about the organization that you are promoting, that's OK. You should. Sometimes the truth hurts.

·
728 Posts
RFA?

[email protected] <[email protected]> Jim is our Texas connection of the RFA or Recreational Fishing Alliance http://www.joinrfa.org/. I'm not a current member myself, but going to trade off my CCA formally GCCA card for an RFA card real soon as we need a higher authority. Everybody knows a land fisherman like CCA that puts a carrot in front you or forcing you with expectations you may win a STAR tournament. I myself feel I can't wet a hook without a current CCA card in my pocket during this summer long event. That's all fine until we need them to focus and stop or even help engineer a fix to keep a Texas Coast fishery open for our kids and grandchildren to enjoy.

I for one can't imagine another yearly fee, but for our freedom it's nessesary and needs to be addressed full force. John Paul Woodley Jr. is in control of pushing the red button. Contact him as well. http://www.hqda.army.mil/asacw/Woodley.asp

·
Gater
6,421 Posts
Rollover

I have spoke with CCA and they are looking into it and will get back with me. Personally, and just my opinion, I don't think closing the pass will hurt fishing, if anything it might help it. The thing is, I don't think anyone knows exactly what will happen. The only sure thing that everyone can agree on is that it will have some sort of economic impact on the Bolivar/Gilcrest area and that many land base fishermen will lose a popular place to wet a line. This we know is true the rest would just be a scientific guess. The coments here and on the 610 show about it hurting the fishery and CCA not doing nothing is just people venting on a topic they know nothing about.

As far as I know, and unless I missed it some where, the enviromental and economic impact studies have not been completed. If this is the case everyone will have the chance to speak their mind when the public comment part of the process comes around.

Gater

·
Registered
329 Posts
FYI, I was not able to find an email address yesterday for John Paul Woodley and I suspect when you are in a position of authority you don't have an email open to the public but his assistants email address is:

Email Contact: [email protected]

I was listening to the Capt. Benny (and other guy?) radio show Sunday morning on 610 and they were discussing this and gave the Woodley phone numbers out listed above and were going to try and get a grass roots movement going, I hope they do. Woodleys name was discussed there at length and seems to be the guy that could swing the big hammer if enough people contact him. He seems to have saved other high profile locations in the past from the wrecking ball. They were going to try and get that show podcasted as it was very informative.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts