2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about a 24 foot boat trailer and have always had a problem with the clearance light connections corroding. When re-wiring I opted to just leave them off. Does anyone know the law regarding these lights?

Thanks in advance.

Drew

·
POC chunker
9,209 Posts
They are required by law on any trailer that carries a load 102" or wider. Solder the connections, cover that with heat shrink tubing, and then put liquid electrical tape over that. Mine are going on 8 years with no problems using that type of connection.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
80"
LIGHTING TECH. INFORMATION
In this section you will find information on legal requirements for trailer lighting, wiring diagrams for 4, 6 & 7-pole systems, as well as some lighting terminology. Some of the most basic maintenance practices can add years of service to your trailer lighting system. One tip is to always unplug the trailer harness from the tow vehicle before launching and loading. Doing so will prevent thermo shock failure when a hot bulb comes in contact with cold water. Another easy maintenance tip is to coat all exposed metal surfaces with dielectric grease, including trailer harness plugs, bulb sockets and contacts. The grease will help prevent corrosion, which is the leading cause of light failure. Finally, as a safety precaution, always check the trailer lighting for proper operation before heading out on the road. I. LIGHTING REQUIREMENTS

Function
Color
Visibility Requirements1Tail LightRed45 Degrees Left and Right
10 Degrees Up and Down
2Stop LightRed45 Degrees Left and Right
10 Degrees Up and Down
3Turn LightRed45 Degrees Left and Right
10 Degrees Up and Down
4Rear ReflexRed20 Degrees Left and Right
10 Degrees Up and Down
5Rear SidemarkerRed45 Degrees Left and Right
10 Degrees Up and Down
6Rear Side ReflectorRed20 Degrees Left and Right
10 Degrees Up and Down
7Front SidemarkerAmber45 Degrees Left and Right
10 Degrees Up and Down
8Front Side ReflectorAmber20 Degrees Left and Right
10 Degrees Up and Down
9License LightClearAbove or Side IlluminatedOVER 80" LIGHTING10Rear Clearance LightRed45 Degrees Left and Right
10 Degrees Up and Down
11Rear Identification LightRed45 Degrees Left and Right
10 Degrees Up and Down
12Front Clearance LightAmber45 Degrees Left and Right
10 Degrees Up and Down
InterpretationsAUnited StatesThe front sidemarker must be mounted so that it is visible 45 degrees left and right without obstruction from the trailer or tow vehicle to comply with NHTSA's interpretation of "as far forward as practical."BCanadaThe front sidemarker must be mounted from 39" to 60" from the front of the trailer and be visible from 45 degrees left and right without obstruction from the trailer and tow vehicle to comply with Transport Canada's interpretation of "as far forward as practical." II. TERMINOLOGY:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for your input.

Do you use some sort of 3 way marine connector to branch off from the running lights?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Branch off of taillights

I ran a very heavy outdoor extension cord to house my lights and then once I got the main run from the front of the trailer (tongue) to the taillights I then spliced a smaller trailer light set back to the clearance lights. This way if the clearance lights fail my tail lights stay on.

See Ya

James

1 - 5 of 5 Posts