2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one know the process on salvaging the sunken boats and the boats that are on land. I have a friend that has already quoted some people, but I am sure that is done through insurance. He also has the required insurance and permit to work in this area. The other friend can get any kind of crane or forklift etc necessary. I am just wondering is the insurance company that approaches a salvage company or does the boat owner get quotes and turn into the insurance.

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
From what I have heard from folks in my marina, the going rate is $1 per pound if they are on land. I don't know anyone close enough to know what they are charging in the water. For most sailboats in our dock (30 footers), the dry land rate is about $5800. I do know they are really concentrating on the ones underwater, due to fuel leakage issues. In my personal opinion, if your boat is high and dry and not causing problems with power lines, you may be last on a lot of lists. The same thing is happening on our street in LC, because it's a main route to get to the dropoff point for the giant trucks carrying tree limbs. I don't expect we will get our limbs taken away anytime soon, because we are, where we are. They have a system and are working it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Mont thats the kind of stuff I'm lookin for. If any one else knows anything please let me know. I was down in waterford marina today and yes there are lots of boats that are really messed up but I was actually suprised at how many were in perfect shape. I'm just trying to make some contacts.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
Scott, from what I have seen, it's completely hit and miss. The guys that have boats still floating are doing their best to see to it that continues. For those boats on the bottom, I have been trying to stay out of the way, period. Let those that really need to get in there, do their jobs. Once we have everyone on dry land, or tied up, then we can worry about other things. I just want to keep mine floating. For the record, Seabrook Shipyard will have my business until they tell me to leave or I fall over dead. Ike hit us, but he didn't knock us down. Harbormaster Dean and his crew rock.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I spoke with some of the guys from Beyel Brothers out of Gulfport and they are contracted directly by the ins companies. You may find the odd owner who was uninsured or underinsured and give those guys a hand. As well, LYC for example has brought in thier prefered heavy lift teams, and they cover what the ins contrators are not lifting.
Beyel Brothers were looking for more barges/cranes in the area, you may call them...
288-896-LIFT will get you the Gulfport office and maybe more info or a few jobs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts