2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I know a lot of you on this board are in TN and I am hoping that maybe some of you will have some insight on my situation. I am graduating from a Kentucky nursing school in about eight months and hopefully within the next year or so I will have enough in the good old bank account to put a down payment on a house in Tennessee. I just returned from a little trip I made to Clarksville and liked what I saw in the way of relatively low-priced real estate, adequate medical facilities in the area and short distances to good catfishing water [emphasis on the catfish;) ]

The realtor I was dealing with over the phone seemed to tell me everything I wanted to hear but I want to hear it straight from somebody who lives in Clarksville or closeby. Living in Louisville is mediocre and crime is getting out of hand, housing prices are going through the roof and traffic is a nightmare so I am ready to get out as soon as possible. So if you have any thoughts on living/working in the Clarksville area please chime in or feel free to shoot me an e-mail at [email protected] and I will get back to you with a big 'thank you' for your time. Business people will tell you whatever you want to hear in order to make a sale but catfishermen as a whole tend to be straight-forward kinda guys who tell it like it is. So if you think the move I'm making is good or bad let me know. Thanks...

~Adam

·
Registered
97 Posts
Clarksville

I am from the clarksville area..What realtor was you dealing with?.. First of all you have to realize that this is a military town. Jobs are hard to find, and the ones you do find does not pay much.. The military spouses are willing to work for minimum wage and they supply a steady work force. This is the 10th largest city in Tenn, and we have our share of crime/drugs etc. The catfishing is good, that part cant be denied. Although i live here, i will be honest, if i was not divorced and my daughter didnt live here then i would be history. As soon as she turns 18 then I am outta here. Let me know if you need any more info..later warren

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Warren, that's the sort of info I was looking for. I am dealing with Keller Williams Realtors and was shown three houses while I was in town last week. I am not 100% committed to Clarksville yet since securing a job at a hospital that I feel comfortable with is the number one priority and Gateway has yet to get back to me. And being a male nurse I was sure they would have at least expressed some interest in filling one the numerous vacancies that they have. Coming from a city of around 700,000 I really want to relocate to a smaller city with a more relaxed atmosphere while staying in the south.

I am currently working with realtors in Clarksville, Murfreesboro and Columbia, South Carolina. I knew that a few of you guys are around Clarksville and wanted your opinion on life there and that is exactly what I got from you. If I have any questions I will certainly get back with you. Thanks

~Adam

·
"OMG...git da net!!!
1,299 Posts
Adam...

Didn't know ya were a nursing student,dude....I'm a R.T.(23 YRS.).

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, I did two years of work towards a B.S. in biology but decided to take my life in a different direction and got into nursing last year, haven't looked back since. If everything goes as planned I will graduate with my ADN RN in 8-12 months depending on if I have to take a summer clinical or not. I know for a fact I'm getting out of downtown Louisville when I graduate, I just haven't decided exactly where I am going to end up.

·
"OMG...git da net!!!
1,299 Posts
congrats,dude...

The nursing field is wide open...you can get work in any town?May I suggest"south and coastal" as a place to start lookin'?:ac550: :biggrin:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL...coastal is nice, I spent summers in St. Pete, FL with my aunt and uncle growing up and as nice as it was it isn't a place I'd like to settle down. I want out of the Ohio River Valley since the weather is really wacky and my allergies go off the chart from April to September. A smaller city with a laid-back, relaxed attitute is what I am looking for.

·
Registered
550 Posts
If you like to catfish, don't like the big towns, and don't want get filthy rich, try Jackson TN, Savannah TN, Memphis TN, Tupelo MS, someplace like that. Personally, my pick would be Savannah TN. Right ON the river, low crime rate, low cost of living, and laid back lifestyles. Oh Yeah Hardly ANY SNOW! (fish YEAR ROUND.) lol

·
Registered
728 Posts
I'll put in a plug for Richmond, Virginia... our crime rate is probably much higher than some of the cities Mudd_Catt mentioned, but our catfishing (as long as you don't want to eat them LOL) is second to none... there are a lot of small towns, like the one I live in, within an hour's commute to Richmond... also there are lots of other hospitals Obici in Suffolk, and a few dozen more I can think of... we have the Chesapeake Bay, Atlantic Ocean, James, Rappahannoc, York, Potomac Rivers... Lake Gaston, Kerr (Buggs Island) Lake, Lake Anna..... need I say more about the fishing opportunities... and of course, we are the birthplace of America (top that you guys).....

·
Registered
550 Posts
May be, but Hardin County TN is calle de "Catfish Capital of the World" for a good reason. LOL (and you can eats our cats) again LOL You have the TN river MS river and Cumberland River all with a couple hours of Savannah. HA!

·
"OMG...git da net!!!
1,299 Posts
"[email protected],he gotcha on dat one,Hawk!

mudd_catt said:
May be, but Hardin County TN is calle de "Catfish Capital of the World" for a good reason. LOL (and you can eats our cats) again LOL You have the TN river MS river and Cumberland River all with a couple hours of Savannah. HA!
VIRGINIA catfish may be a slightly smaller cousin to those bigdogs ya'll do battle with,but,...They REAL QUICK!!:p

·
Registered
728 Posts
mudd_catt said:
Okay... you win. :eek:hwell:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts