2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads up for interested parties. I recently purchased a new laptop and decided that since i,m out of the office , most of the time, I would get a wireless card.
Since my phone service is with cingular, i go there for my card. The card was fairly responsive at the store In north Austin near lakeline mail.

However a half hour later, between Leander and Marble Falls it was horrible. VERY SLOW or not getting a signal at all.
So i,m thinking, i ,ll go over to another location in Cedar Park and see if its any better. Nope.
Not very satisfied at this point. I go traveling across Texas to see Where, and if this device is going to "Work" for me...Best Service was in Major cities or locations close to already established WiFi hosts.

I spent 2 weeks traveling up and down the coast meeting clients and wetting hooks.. Upon my first stop in the SLP area , i think certainly i,ll be able to get a good connection here ,as i can see a Cell tower on Follets Island. Nope, not happening., It might get connected but you might want to make a wade in between screens.

Next Stop was at Seahorse estates on Follets Island near access Rd 5. We get a connection, but a very minor one and i,m serviceless.
By this time i,m rather disappointed in the product and have just about made my mind up to return the device.

Three weeks have gone by and i have business again close to the Marble Falls area. So i give the card one last shot. Same deal as before, No Connection. So i,m stuck in 19 inches of rain in 6 hours and by the time i ,m able to get back to Huntsville Texas to return the device i ,m 6 days over the allowable 30 day trial basis per contract. No mercy from Cingular...they Stick it to me.

Cingular after countless hours and debates over the phone has decided to hit me with a contract default at 175.00 Nice.
Plus a bill for 70 bones for the month that they're device didnt work. Plus activation fees. Plus Fuel , to "see" if the product is worth its monthly Fee.

In all i,m out over 1800.00 "trying" out they're not so "wonderful" product.
I cant give a monatary estimate of the stress and time dealing with these guys for the last 2 weeks. And really , its more principle than the money.

I hope my fellow 2coolers have had better luck with Cingular than i have...

Sorry for the rant.

Marc

·
Heritage, not Hate
3,239 Posts
I have the Sierra wireless card with Cingular and have never had a problem. Used it on the road through LA, MS, and TN with great service. I had service when the Verizon guys didn't. Maybe you got a bad card?

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
A lot of SLP has no cell service. Sometimes I can call out but usually not.

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
How can you say you were out fuel to try out the product when you were on a business trip? They had nothing to do with you driving all over to test the card. If you will read the contract you agreed too, they don't have coverage everywhere.

·
Life is a Trip!
819 Posts
Hey TSlurp...

Man, sorry to hear that.

I've had the same card for over a year now. While there were a few issues in the beginning, their customer service was some of the best I've seen in any industry. Besides easily fixing a lot over the phone, I ended up getting a new card in two days. Now it's fast, consistent, and I can get out virtually anywhere. Matter of fact, I was so impressed with them that I will probably dump Sprint on two other phones.

·
Roll Tide!
15,791 Posts
I have Cingular/ATT cell service, but a Verizon air card. Verizon coverage in North America is much more extensive than ATT.

ATT has better international service however. Some people I know who travel overseas regularly have both Verizon and ATT for that reason.

·
POC chunker
9,209 Posts
Miss Dixie said:
I have the Sierra wireless card with Cingular and have never had a problem. Used it on the road through LA, MS, and TN with great service. I had service when the Verizon guys didn't. Maybe you got a bad card?
I've got the same Sierra card and the same service with Cingular/ATT . No problems in Austin near Parmer and Mopac, no problems in POC, and no problems pretty much anywhere up and down I35 or I10. I love it for the mobility it gives me.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bobby said:
How can you say you were out fuel to try out the product when you were on a business trip? They had nothing to do with you driving all over to test the card. If you will read the contract you agreed too, they don't have coverage everywhere.
No worries on the fuel Bobby, You make a valad point. And I can only expect they're coverage will get better as time passes on.
I can assure you i will not make the mistake of "testing" another card from AT&T.

Marc

·
That DamnYankee!!
4,077 Posts
Were you dealing with at&t customer service or the local store?
I just went through a ton of arguing and three trips to the local store after the LCD broke on a 3 day old phone. Local manager wouldn't do anything for me, told me it was my problem and to buy a new phone. Spoke with at&t via the *699 number and had a new phone by the next day. Turns out the local store I went to wasn't an at&T corperate store it was a licensed vendor. Those type stores are a rip off and should be avoided at all costs.

Jeff

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
good point brew.. always deal with a corporate store.. if you call *611 from your cingular phone..

Just do what I do. keep calling till you get someone with will work with u.. If they say no then either ask for a supervisor or hang up and try again..

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
An Air Card is not a satellite internet connection. It is only going to work in places that have advanced networks (i.e. big cities). Anywhere your cell wouldn't normally get at least 80% reception, the Air Card will be useless. You've got to buy a satellite, like the "Death Ray" Monty has, if you want to use it in the boondocks. ;)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Sorry to here about the luck. Not to sure about the cingluar card, i went with the sprint card and its not bad and is only real unlimited card on the market. Take a look at sprint if you keep the computer and still want a card.

·
Heritage, not Hate
3,239 Posts
ShadMan said:
Anywhere your cell wouldn't normally get at least 80% reception, the Air Card will be useless.
I've had one bar on my cell phone signal....and still picked up the internet with my Air Card. I've never been to the places that Troutslurp went, but I have used mine in the back woods of TN with no problem...I could even hear the banjos :biggrin:

I'm sure there are some "dead" areas....but I haven't found them yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts