MOD V Slave
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Date: 8/7/04

Time: 5:45a-12p

Water Visibility: 1'- 1.5' Good clarity, blue green gray color

Wind: Light, 8-12mph NE-E

Lure(s): Topdog, Liquid Shrimp TTK 2 Jr, White Sand Eel

Paddled out to mouth of Churchill and immediately saw signs of baitfish activity. Tidal movement was good. At 8:08a, the bite was on. Managed two legal flounder and a dink speck (13”) before 8:30a. All caught on a Liquid Shrimp color TTK2 Jr. When bite slowed, made the mistake of moving further up the bayou in search of fish. Did not find any. Returned to the same spot as previously fished but on opposite side of channel. Picked up another flounder and undersized speck. Both caught on above lure. Once the tides went slack (11:15a) the fish lost interest, as did I. Talked to another paddler who hooked up with much the same. He also managed to land a black drum and a 3’ Hammerhead on cut sand trout. All in all a GREAT day to be on the water. I haven’t caught flounder in years, so the trip was well worth the drive/clean up time.

Lots of boat traffic thru the channel. Need to make mental note to fish area again on weekday. MANY of the boaters need to learn a little common courtesy. Lost count of all the boats that would blow thru the area while lines were out. Not only mine but several others as well. The kinder folks would at least slow down and try their best not to ruin our fishing. I understand the perils of fishing so close to a main channel, but please…what happened to common courtesy???

The surf was green to the beach from access 6 all the way to 61st st. If you can, hit the surf while the getting’s good. The afternoon surf was loaded with people so get there early!

·
What's a Corky?
3,107 Posts
I don't know the specific situation you were in but I have been in many situations where I see people fishing near a channel I have to run to get through and I debate whether to slow down to show courtesy, knowing I will throw a bigger wake, or to continue at decent speed and not blow them over with a two foot wake while probably having the same effect on their fishing. No doubt some people are just plane **ssholes, but sometimes we think we're doing the right thing by staying on plane. Just a thought man, and glad you got to hook up on some flatties, YUMMY!!!

·
MOD V Slave
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You make an excellent point. I noticed some of the more shallow running boats didn't throw as big a wake as the others when they went thru there at high speeds. It's all good though right? I mean I did still catch fish!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts