2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
gone fishin'
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading a lot of the recipes for some of that good ol' stinky, take your breath away when you take the lid off, gauranteed to bring in the catfish chum, so I decided to give it a shot and mix some up. I used craked corn, chicken scratch, milo, high yeilding yeast, beer, and a little water. I figured the more I added to the mix, the more it would smell. So its been about 9 days now, and it dont smell at all. The same as when I first mixed it up. Any ideas of what to add or take away. I thought maybe its the tempature, not hot enough outside. Either way the ***** like it, 2 nights in a row I've seen them pull the lids off and help themselves.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
catfish chum

I generally use feeder corn or milo. In a 5 gal bucket, pour corn 3/4 full add water to the top, might want to add a little yeast and a cup of sugar. leave it in the sun and let nature do its thing. It will smell ripe in a few days. Be sure to make several buckets and be generous with it. FD :fishy:

·
Registered Somewhere
5,635 Posts
The process of making chum from grains slows down tremedously during the winter. If you are using a white or metalic container, put it in a black garbage bag and set it in direct sunlight. It will sour. Just takes a while. It needs warm

·
Reelrednecks Fishing Team
567 Posts
You have done everything right, be sure to have plenty of water to keep everything covered. I agree a black garbage bag wrapped around in the sun will speed things up some. Keep a tight fitting lid on it also...it will happen. Also just a regular old deer block works pretty good in a pinch.

·
NEVER NEVER EVER RING THE BELL
12,595 Posts
I do not use whole kennel corn. I was feeding soured corn to the cat fish in my 9 acre lake. I found small dead fish that had their lower digestive track completely blocked with the large grains of corn. The enzymes in their digestive system will not dissolve the outer shell of the corn so they can not pass it through their system. Cracked corn does not pose a threat.
Most any grain with a little yeast and sugar will sour well enough in three to four days if you keep it above 75 degrees. Musty is as good as Stinky.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts