2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Fin-ish Fantasy ('93)
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up one of these babies new off Fleabay for less than $220 including shipping. How long have you had yours and have you had any probs with it? I am really looking forward to giving mine a spin.

:)

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
KEEP IT DRY... They are having alot of problems with them, IF you dont keep them dry and wash them down each time... We had one that the inside plate was corroding away.. and we keep ours clean..

On my scorpion (jap version) I have not had any issue, but coated the inside with corrosion X.

Just make sure and clean it and clean good on the inside after a few trips and you should be good.. I know people that have fished with one since they were new and had no issues.

DERN GOOD reel... Specially if its strapped to a laguna

Thomas

·
Fin-ish Fantasy ('93)
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I'll shoot it with corrosion X. Thanks Thomas. I am not that perfect at keeping mine clean and every little bit of help counts!

Mine is strapped to a Waterloo so I think I will be ok. I just have to get more anal about cleaning them I guess!

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Im sure Mike will post up.... (mikeinfriendswood) He gets alot of work on these.. Also the guys at FTU have said that they have seen the same thing.. We actually took Kaylin's back to academy and got a new one...

No issues with the new ones...

Thomas

·
Fin-ish Fantasy ('93)
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there a way to tell the difference between the new ones and old ones are do you just mean that they are so new you haven't had issues and there is no new model or any improvement in design?

Thanks for sharing Thomas!

·
But, I live in Bayou Vista!
1,631 Posts
New=MG100
Old=MG50

I think that is whatthe old/new reference is.

Like Thomas said, Coat all the inside surfaces with green corrosion-X, and you should be good to go.

Just pay a little extra attention to how it looks on the outside, and open it up a little more often than you might otherwise do, and you should have no problems.

Mike

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
had mine since december and its holding up good.. i gets washed with corrosion X after ever trip and broke down after every 5 trips.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have two of them and they are great. They definitely require more maintenance than other reels even if you do manage to keep them dry.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Mine is fixin' to go to the doctor and I treat it pretty well. Seems to be on the inside on the part that is hard to get too.Absolutely love the reel, but I am not so sure I would buy another at $250.

·
Registered
145 Posts
On mine, the bearing (or bushing) that drives the level wind shaft will sometimes get sticky and it causes it to feel like the whole reel is locking up when you wind. Pop the right cover off of it and oil under that gear. It's towards the front (obviously). Should be good as new.

·
Ankle Deep Custom Rods
3,467 Posts
mine is going on 2 yrs now.....I am real careful with it while wading and then I pay extra attention to it when I clean up the gear after a trip.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have two Mgs. I have used them for over one year. Holding up pretty well. Use corrosion X and watch out for body cancer. Best reel ever combined with a light rod. You can throw lures all day long.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just be careful with this reel and be sure to clean it after each use in saltwater. Buy a reel cover for it to keep it from getting scratched and I use real magic on my reels. Also if you do get a pretty deep scratch on the frame just put some clear nail polish on it and it will be protected again.

·
Roll Tide!
15,787 Posts
I bought mine before I knew about the corrosion issues. Now I'm afraid to use it. I can be pretty rough on things and I don't want to scratch it. I take care of my reel maintenance, but I only want to break it down once a year, not once every 5 trips.

The only other thing is that it is so light, I don't feel like I am working baits properly with it. The rod and reel just feel out of balance to me. I'm sure using it more would solve that feeling.

Otherwise it is an incredibly smooth reel.

·
Roll Tide!
15,787 Posts
jtizzle said:
Yeah, it sounds like it probably isn't the reel for you.

I'll give you 100 bucks for it.
I'll bet you would. It was a birthday gift for the wife and I haven't stayed married for 25 year without learning that you don't ever sell a gift from your wife... I'll take $225.:D

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Texxan1 said:
We actually took Kaylin's back to academy and got a new one..
Thats me :)

I love the 50mg, just absolutely love it. Would buy another one and use it till it disintegrates but like Thomas said...Academy did take mine back and it had started to lose little pieces of mg all over the inside. It was chipping away inside at the thumb lever, never knew it till one day the reel acted funny and by then it was all over the inside. We are diligent about rinsing those mg reels well and it really wasnt corroded so maybe I had a nick there or it was actually a defect that started the chipping. The reel wasnt very old and I bought it slightly used so who knows. I sure do like it on the Laguna, so lightweight. Dont mind spending the money for something like that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts