2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
4,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone told me that there is a place in CS (a park) that really goes all out on Christmas decorating...that it is a fun place to take kids to see lights. Has anyone ever heard of it, or know any details?

Thanks
MCT

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Santas wonderland is awesome! I like it alot and I am a 26 yr old. I will say this go early. I mean that in the since of time and season. The wait to drive through is forever! Cars are backed up 2 miles or more. It is better to do the hay ride and go to the Wonderland part of it. Its really fun there as well.

If you do the hay ride do not tell any Aggie jokes. I found out the hard way. Especially the differences of an Aggie and a beaver, do not tell that one.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
We have gone the last 3 years and its worth the trip. Buy your tickets online though. The drive through lights show takes about 30-40 minutes. There is a small town setup with stores, a camp fire and Pictures with Santa there. Your going to love it, unless your a long horns fan ;)

·
Aggie Mom
5,386 Posts
Get there right before dusk. The line won't be as long.
My sons didn't want to do it but dad & I did. Ok, Mom just make it quick. Before we got to the first set, can we sit in the back of the truck? This is just so cool! Can we get hot chocolate? Turn the radio up so we can hear the music back here!
They were about 17 & 13 then and everytime we pass it now it's 'wow, remember how cool that was?'

·
Registered
325 Posts
It's amazing how the older kids can have as much fun as the younger ones when looking at those lights. Maybe it's the older one seeing the thrill and excitment in their young brothers or sisters eyes.
Get there before dusk.

Enjoy

·
Registered
185 Posts
My wife & daughter said the place just south of College Station is first class and well worth the visit! I have to add though that Knot Kidding is right about Johnson City. It has the best municipal display I've seen, which says a lot if you've seen the traditional court house displays in the small Hill Country towns. Darn the ACLU.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I took my family there Saturday. We made our first trip last year in mid-Dec. We waited 3.5 hours in line to drive thru. Learned my lesson and we were going Thanksgiving weekend to beat the crowd, purchased tickets online & taking the hayride this time!!! Got there around 7PM and the line was backed up past TX Motor Speedway - Uh Oh! Bypassed the line up to the parking lot since we were hayriding and PO told us that the lot was full but there was a shuttle service across SH6 at the flea market. We parked and were on the hayride in less than 20mins!!! Had a great time and the kids & grandparents were filled with the Christmas spirit. Will do it again next year.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Yep Here is the link, great place to take the kids, $20.00 a car load but I liked it
http://www.santas-wonderland.com/main.htm
Santa's Wonderland is great. We used to go to the market section, but it's gotten a bit too overblown for us. The drive-thru lights are worth the trip, though.

The Perdenales Electric company and the Johnson City Courthouse lights are great, but might not be worth that long drive.

We saw those on our Thanksgiving camping trip to Guadalupe River SP this past weekend. We go every year, spending one day doing the "Hill Country Lighting Tour" by driving from the park through Johnson City (they have a carnival that weekend) and up to Marble Falls. Marble Falls has a small but neat walking light exhibit in the downtown park by the river. Eat dinner at the Bluebonnet Cafe, but be sure to save room for the pie. The peanut butter is to die for....

The next night, we do the drive from the SP to Fredericksburg through Boerne. Boerne has some neat lights, but it's mostly good shopping for crafts, then up to Fredericksburg for their lights. Eat at Hilltop Cafe if you don't have the kids. Bring a wheelbarrow full of money, but the music and food are renowned. Yes, it looks like a dump in the middle of nowhere. It is a dump. The food is from heaven, as best we could tell.

We didn't make it to New Braunfels/San Marcos this year, but both have had nice walking tours. So did Burnet.

Back to your question tho'...the CS drive thru lights are worth the $20.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts