2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again my internal clock has awakened me only a few minutes prior to the alarm clock signaling the beginning of a new day. Without hesitation, my ear is drawn towards the whipping of the palm trees in the wind. During seasonal changes such as spring to summer, there is no need to check the attitude of the flag outside my bedroom window. As of late, each wake up call has me mentally prepared for hard driving wind.

Year end and year out, the coastal region undergoes a segmented transition of weather and wind. Knowing the conditions that favor will allow you to position yourself a step ahead of the trout’s next move. One of the most common questions that I’ve found myself answering is, “how are you dealing with this wind?’” My reply is, a bumpy boat ride to say the least, but we’re still catching them. Wind has an adverse effect on the water clarity and feeding patterns. To back this statement up, I want to explain in more details my experiences over the past few weeks. We all know a strong south wind occurs for a reason. Low pressure systems positioned above the Texas panhandle generates a pull of moisture and wind form the Gulf of Mexico.

What I have discovered during recent trips, is a distinct difference between primary and secondary feeding zones. If one would take a map and study the depth contour compiled from soundings, you would find more fishing locations. High winds can be an alarm clock signaling trout to move into deeper water. Since seasonal patterns have not been completely established, it is my opinion that trout will migrate to secondary feeding zones in anticipation of severe weather. Just the other day, I studied a map and located a contour of 1 foot of water that was positioned very close to land mass. What really got my attention, the deep water that ran parallel to the one foot contour? We are talking about a 2 to 3 foot contour change. OK, this might not sound like much, but this contour difference was leeward to a point that protected the entire area. What was significant, we had deeper water near the bank in comparison to any other area over the entire shoreline. Now, let’s talk about how we’ve been catching these trout. I have been throwing Norton’s Mardi Gras bull minnows with good success. Before the sun rises, we’re working mud and grass. After the sun peaks, we’re moving directly to sand and grass. Remember, sand is cooler then mud and grass. The water surface temperatures are now getting into the 80 degree range. Our top water action has been less predictable when compared to using Norton lures. Therefore, each morning I’m starting off with a plum chartreuse bull minnow or the Mardi Gras.

I wish the reports were better about red fish action. As of late, we’re just not catching as many reds compared to other months. The higher tides stacked the reds further into the back country of Matagorda Island. If you don’t have an air boat or skinny running skiff, it’s hard to locate them. OK, with that being said, our tides are starting to back down. The drop in tides will allow better action on area shorelines. If the winds continue to pump from the south, look for tides to drop even more. When fishing for reds, we use the same Norton lures that work for trout. Speaking of trout, the action has been awesome. During the past few weeks, our parties are averaging 26 trout per trip. When you consider all the wind and dirty water we’ve experienced, I will take these numbers any day. In dirty water, a noticeable difference of trout size has been established. These dirty water trout, are like “gator” trout compared to clear water trout.

My wife Deb and I, along with the guides at Bay Flats Lodge would like to thank each and every one of our customers and sponsors for their support and business. This has been one of the busiest years and without your support it wouldn’t be the same. In closing, it would be exciting to have my internal clock wake me up in the morning and not hear any palm trees whipping into the wind. Wake up Chris, it’s only a dream

Attachments

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Happy Memorial Day TTMB

The weekend produced good catches despite strong winds and dirty water. Most fish came over shell or hard sand. I hope all had a good weekend. Be safe going home.

Chris

Attachments

·
Just a Member
126 Posts
Great pics Chris

Who owns that beautiful brick patio you take all those pics on? That your place? My wifes been on me to remodel our breezeway, man thse bricks layed out like that look good! ;) ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts