2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone heard about the "flesh eating virus" being present in Chocolates' waters". Also: would this be bad as the PCBs mentioned in other bay systems recently as long as you're fishing from a boat? Thanks for advice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,765 Posts
WERE GONNA KILL OVER SOMEDAY SOMEHOW WE CANT PREDICT THAT I FISH AND I EAT THEM AND IM HAPPY WHO TF KNOWS??????????????????
 

·
Me want redfish...
Joined
·
1,094 Posts
the flesh eating virus "Vibrio" is present in all coastal waters. You are just as much at risking in Galveston Bay as you are in Chocolate Bay. Staying in the boat vs wading will lower you chances, but as long as you are healthy and have no open wounds, you really don't need to worry about this. Just be aware of the symptons.

The PCB's are stored in the fatty tissue of all fish, but are found in higher concentrations in specs and catfish.

As far as what concerns me most? Vibrio... That'll kill ya... PCB's will just make you glow. Plus the third arm really helps me land fish!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,696 Posts
FishinHippie said:
As far as what concerns me most? Vibrio... That'll kill ya... PCB's will just make you glow. Plus the third arm really helps me land fish!
LMAO!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dipsay said:
LMAO!!!!!!!
Ditto - I was just curious, as neighbor said the early AM fishing report on radio had mentioned Vibrio concentrations in Chocolate are unusually high right now. I personally hadn't heard that. The third arm comment is some funny stuff, don't care who you are! Thanks
 

·
fish control my brain
Joined
·
7,732 Posts
AlvinBigDog said:
Ditto - I was just curious, as neighbor said the early AM fishing report on radio had mentioned Vibrio concentrations in Chocolate are unusually high right now. ......
Someone is full of $h!t......

as far as I know, there is no way to detect concentrations of VIBRIO.....

It's in all coastal waters, and has been that way way before anyone has ever lived on the coast.....

As far as scientist know, it needs Salt-water to thrive, but likes stagnet water, with no current......and needs warm temps.....

  • -Chocolate has had a lot off run-off
  • -The temps have fallen
  • -and there is no way to detect VIBRO....nor is there anyone testing for it !!!
NOW....on the PCB front......yes, there will be bad things stird up from the bottom that we would not want to ingest....but that would be for the whole Galveston bay system....and not just the chocolate bay system.....

But it is actually good for Chocolate, as higher concentrations will be mixed up and carried out with the tides......

So give it a another week, before you go out and let things settle out......

FYI
Chocolate got about a 6 - 8' storm surge.....depending on the area...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fishin'

Muddskipper said:
Someone is full of $h!t......

as far as I know, there is no way to detect concentrations of VIBRIO.....

It's in all coastal waters, and has been that way way before anyone has ever lived on the coast.....

As far as scientist know, it needs Salt-water to thrive, but likes stagnet water, with no current......and needs warm temps.....
  • -Chocolate has had a lot off run-off
  • -The temps have fallen
  • -and there is no way to detect VIBRO....nor is there anyone testing for it !!!
NOW....on the PCB front......yes, there will be bad things stird up from the bottom that we would not want to ingest....but that would be for the whole Galveston bay system....and not just the chocolate bay system.....

But it is actually good for Chocolate, as higher concentrations will be mixed up and carried out with the tides......

So give it a another week, before you go out and let things settle out......

FYI
Chocolate got about a 6 - 8' storm surge.....depending on the area...
Thanks for the info... will probably be trying it soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,159 Posts
vibrio is most often present during heat of summer in stagnate water ,case in point is texas city dike first 10 feet of water near mosquito island . you get it if puncture your skin when you pull a **** tangled with your boat or puncture by a catfish . it is rare but it is a good idea to have rubbing alcohol on board . Wading , you have to deal with sharks, pot holes , stinger and he fact that no one will hold your beer for you
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top