Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this in the Houston Chronicle

Oct. 13, 2004, 11:06PM

Around The Region

BRAZORIA COUNTY

Parking prohibited at fishing spot

ANGLETON - A popular fishing spot on Christmas Bay near San Luis Pass will be off limits for parking, Brazoria County Commissioners Court has decided. Over the years, County Road 257-P has become popular for fishers without boats, Brazoria County Engineer Gerald Roberts said. Commissioners voted to put up "no parking" signs after a resident complained that fishers were blocking the road.

·
"Bring me a menu and a bucket........"
2,347 Posts
I think so. It never ends. Nobody blocked the road there. I asked one of the residents at one time if they minded the people parked there for the fishing, they had no problem with us.

The resident did say that a new comer to the street had those plastic signs made that were posted. I'm sure it is the same individual that called the county.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Yes. I remember that.

Probably saw some dude drop trow out there on the roadside to change into dry clothes and got offended.

I guess I should be more careful.:biggrin:

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Not clear where it is.

Are the old condos where the two at the end have been vacant for years? Or the spot where the PVC pipes are.

·
"Bring me a menu and a bucket........"
2,347 Posts
I'm not totally sure if the road to the condos is the one closed as I have never noticed a street sign there. However, Gary the road we are talking about is the one just past the new cell tower off the blue water hwy, which is on the left if you are heading toward galvatraz.

We call the PVC pipe area the duck blinds although they are not there anymore. Looks like I'll have to "walk the ditch" from now on.

Bummer

·
Grand Master of Thread Kill
1,591 Posts
gary

its on the left if you are heading toward the bay.

i just got off the phone with dude payne who is the county commisioner over that area. he told me that it was one guy on that road that got this thing passed. no one showed up at the meeting (which no one knew about) to voice an opinion against it.

dude is with us on this one. he gave me contact info.

tina
brazoria county engineers
979-388-1265

please everyone give her a call and let her know that we're opposed to the no parking zone. if we can get enough calls dude will be able to get it back up for a vote.

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Thanks guys.

I know where it is now. I checked the TOBA board, and there was a link, and theres alot of talk about it there.

This sucks. Thats a good fishing spot. Allthough this kind of news isnt new. Weve been talking about it for years. First close the beach, and it progresses. I guess it would be inapropiate (sp) and not very PC, so I wont mention a large group didnt listen to us.
:hairout:

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/...pic.php?t=17859

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Hello everyone,

Today, I called Tina with Brazoria County Engineers at 979-388-1265 to voice my concerns about this bay access point being closed. First, I want to thank all of you who have taken the time to make the call. Several have already called and I encourage the rest of you to also do so. It will only take a minute of your time. We have to make a stand in protecting our bay access also! If not, eventually, the walk in waders and kayakers will not be able to access some of our well known spots as we always have if we do not get involved! The phone call was very productive and positive. I would also like to clear up a couple of things. We can still access this road and drive towards the end (to the left) and still park our vehicles to park and go fishing! Here is what we cannot do! We cannot park on the actual road or right of way near the homes! Just go a bit further down and park off the road! With all the phone calls coming in, things may change and the signs may not be put up! But even with the signs, we can still drive to the end and park as I mentioned above!

Thanks for taking the time to make the call!
Tim Lopas
TOBA
www.texasopenbeaches.org

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
ps. It was only one (1) homeowner on that road that got this done! We can still make a difference as I mentioned above! Brazoria was very receptive to my call and comments unlike Galveston has been for us! There are many within there office that were upset this was happening and hope to see our call flowing in to get the signs shut down. But even with that said, we still can park at the end and to the left even if the signs go up! Hope I did not repeat myself too many times...

tlopas

1 - 12 of 12 Posts