2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Bad seas make good captains
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's snowing outside and all I can think about is... how this will affect my boat and motors! I should be happy about the possibility of a "white Christmas" and I guess I am. Yet this just makes the off-shore season seem that much further away! I guess I'll put on some home-made chicken soup and head down to the dock to make sure that the ol' Roballo is wintering o.k.! Maybe run the motors, wipe the sleet off of the wood and alluminum... just any thing beside sitting in the house waiting for spring! I done got my reels re-built and re-spooled, and my electronic gear is safe and warm in the top drawer of my desk. I have my wish list of lures, baits and gear distributed amongst my family fairly, so the burden of cost will be spread out evenly. It's funny watching my non-fishing kin try to put their heads together to figure out what the hell a RH-210 Rapalla is... and where the hell do you get one!
Anyway... I have a Christmas gift for ya'll twin motored off-shore crazies. You may have heard of this (and in that case just consider this another **** neck tie you wont wear) but if not..."Merry Christmas"! When ever you're trolling for what-ever strikes a trolled bait, try running one motor about 100 or 200 R.P.M.'s slower or faster than the other motor! This disruption in the harmonic resonance is great for getting the critter's attention and making them look up just in time to see your baits swim by! Also... and this is by no means scientific... "Bob Marley Music" blasted through your hull is a good hull thumper! The fish seem to love it!

Ya'll Have a very merry Christmas and a Happy new Snapper Season!

Privateer

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Those near flat days in between winter storms can be incredible offshore. A good chunk of the offshore is over 74 degrees and the dolphinfish are there ... haven't heard of many inshore blackies but wehoo should be running thicker. True, many winterize their boats this time of year but inshore snaps, some offshores, it's all good. Bring a cooker or ceviche mix and eat some giant snappa out there! Remember to eat all the evidence.

Talk I heard was in this cooler weather, fish will hit on arties more, too, the opposite of bay fishing. Interesting, I have heard about several Big Eye Tuna being caught way long now ... just as good as YFT. My problem is finding a boat that wants to go on the spur of the moment, since the weather windows are pretty tight.

By the way, cranking on a big ole fish is a lot easier than in the hot summer. I let a little 35# AJ whup me in 165 foot of water when it was 90 degrees ... in the cool you don't feel like you're going to pass out. Plus, you can drink more beer without feeling the effects, sweet.

·
Don't touch my junk, bro!
5,844 Posts
If your boat isn't in the water, make sure the lower units are fully drained of water...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts