2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Headed out on Monday from Port A looking to put some groceries in the boat(Feelin' Greens Phrase) Crew was Feelin' Green, Captain Nate, Will, and myself. We left the dock right at 5am and headed out to 48 miles for some early morning trolling. Seas were finally calm and for the 1st time this year my kidneys were still in place after making the run at 26 knots. Dropped the lines in the water and instantly had a triple hook up...maybe 3 wahoo, no 3 crummy bone heads. We continued to troll and started picking up some solid bf tuna around some bait. Before 930 we had 3 bf tuna, 1 20 lb hoo and 1 little chicken in the boat. We continued to troll around a dragging shrimper and picked up a couple more bf tuna and tons of bonita. The bite slowed so we dropped down on a new spot to see if there was a grouper or Aj to be had, no such luck but the kings were everywhere. Caught 2 and donated a couple knife jigs to them before moving to a cut off rig. Caught 5 very nice snaps, 1 keeper ling and a small shark. Lines back in the water and we get hammered by kings and bone heads again. We released all the kings during the day. We had a moment of excitement when a blue came up and tried to eat a bonita as we were pulling him in. We tried to drop the bait back but he disappeared. The blue was in 240 ft of water. Trolled a while longer and picked up another small dodo before heading in to 30 miles. Dropped the lines in the water and trolled 2 minutes before hitting another bf tuna and a bonita. We moved over to a rig and caught the last 3 snapper we needed for our limit and 3 little mangroves for sandwich material. Ran home at 30 knots. Great day and great crew.

It was nice to see the BF tuna closer to land. We caught six during the day . There were 3 shrimp boats dragging all day in 240 to 300 ft of water.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Had a blast making the grocery run with you guys. Having good company and solid fisherman aboard makes all the difference in the world out on the water. I just wish there wasn't any photographic evidence of our secret weapons for reeling in the big snapper on the bottom right of the 1st picture. Would've loved to had the "dude in the blue suit" take the bonita and run, but we'll save him for next time. Now I need to figure out how to get my 5-year-old son to not throw rocks at Mrs. Paul's fish sticks since we had the triple combo meal of Snapper, Wahoo, and BFT for dinner last night. Oh well, MUST FISH MORE.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
we caught fiish on everything. cedar plugs to overpriced trolling lures. the bird did get hit more than any other bait as usual.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts