2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Chicken Dolphin

4K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  bigdaddyriverrat 
#1 ·
My son & I fished offshore Mon.& Tues. Water was great. Hit blue water about 30 Mi. Had a few hits at 40 mi. troling around rigs. Caught about 6 baracudas. Found a couple of trash piles and troled by and caught 1 chicken dolphin. There was tons in there. Tried to cast small fethers but they would only follow them,no fish.
If you fellow fisherman could help I would appreciate it. What do you use to catch the chickens with. We used every feather we had. Any suggestions???
Terry Sr. & Jr.

#3 ·
Dolphin will usually pounce on just about anything you throw at them, cut fresh dophin seems to work best for me. Many times when the fish are skittish, there is something big nearby feeding on them and keeping them on their fins. Next time put a livie out behind the boat on a big rig and hold on!

#10 ·
Dolphin!!!

When their hot, they'll hit anything that hits the water. When they seemed turned off throw a hand full of small cut up chum in the water (shrimp, cigar minnows, cut bait, etc.) and try a small piece of the same on a small treble or single hook. I usually use shrimp. I was in a school that wouldn't hit anything one time, tried all the tricks. I had a bunch of live 2 to 4 inch menhaden in the live well that I had caught in the castnet back at the ramp. Threw a net full of those babies in and those dolphin lit up like a Christmas tree. Feeding frenzy....................

#11 ·
Last Saturday we hit a patch of weeds out of of Freeport and caught all we wanted. Started out using pieces of cigar minnow. After we got them going we were catching them on bare silver hooks ripped thru the water. When we left them you could hold a piece of bait in the water and they would eat it from your hand. What a blast!!!!!!! My nine year old had a ball.

#14 ·
chuck richey said:
All of these were caught 8-5-04 out of slp about 18 miles out. We only used speck rigs. It really gets fun when a good one sucks up one of the jigs. We stopped at 70 but could have kept twice that many. Half are all ready eaten.
Nice Ling...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.